Faster coral growth with higher pH? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

If you could get faster growth at higher pH, would you chase it?

• Yes

Votes: 97 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • Other (comment your thoughts)

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow up from my last post. Before and after I ran air line pH graph. Also not as notable is the 0.1 Alk drop daily. Still monitoring.
95EF4CF2-6697-4826-918E-4F1AC7442189.png

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should start looking into this wild swinging I’ve got going on, sounds like most people are more stable than this?

Any recommendations?

FEA0E634-A76D-405F-BE84-E52BA393C9B0.png
I dose about 5 ml of kalk even half hour from a BRS doser and supplement about 20 ml/day soda ash and calcium. With summer I’ve had to run a skimmer intake hose to the out site de and this is the result so far SE my post above for full details
D5D9AEC6-516D-48A6-826C-71E10F3389C0.png

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral growth and calcification rates are two different things but connected. Fast growth + high calcification rates = corals growing towards the light source and low density. Fast growth is about temp, light, nutrients.
Why corals have to grow fast?
Fast growth is considered to be the main reason for coral bleaching, in conditions of high nitrogen availability in combination with an insufficient supply of phosphorus or and other essential building materials.
Enrichment of reef environments with dissolved inorganic nutrients is considered a major threat to the survival of corals living in symbiosis with dinoflagellates (Symbiodinium sp.). However, we state that the direct negative effects on symbiosis are not caused by the nutrient enrichment itself, but by the phosphorus starvation of the algae symbionts that can be caused by disturbed nitrogen (N) to phosphorus (P) ratios.(RossetEnCo2017)
ref: http://www.baharini.eu/baharini/doku.php?id=nl:makazi:theorie:koraal_holoboint&s[]=koraalholobiont

In all experiments of a study conducted by Schneider and Erez, the calcification increased with the CO3 2- concentration. It suggests that pH, CO2, CT (inorganic carbon), and AT (alkalinity) are not controlling for the calcification rate but that CO3 2- is the dominant factor. The specification of CT determines how much CO3 2- is available for calcification, and the CO3 2- concentration can be used to describe the response of coral calibration to changes in the chemistry of carbonate (SchneiderErez2006)

ref: CMF De Haes http://www.baharini.eu/baharini/doku.php?id=nl:makazi:chemie:calcificatie

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral growth and calcification rates are two different things but connected. Fast growth + high calcification rates = corals growing towards the light source and low density. Fast growth is about temp, light, nutrients.
Why corals have to grow fast?
Fast growth is considered to be the main reason for coral bleaching, in conditions of high nitrogen availability in combination with an insufficient supply of phosphorus or and other essential building materials.
Enrichment of reef environments with dissolved inorganic nutrients is considered a major threat to the survival of corals living in symbiosis with dinoflagellates (Symbiodinium sp.). However, we state that the direct negative effects on symbiosis are not caused by the nutrient enrichment itself, but by the phosphorus starvation of the algae symbionts that can be caused by disturbed nitrogen (N) to phosphorus (P) ratios.(RossetEnCo2017)
ref: http://www.baharini.eu/baharini/doku.php?id=nl:makazi:theorie:koraal_holoboint&s[]=koraalholobiont

In all experiments of a study conducted by Schneider and Erez, the calcification increased with the CO3 2- concentration. It suggests that pH, CO2, CT (inorganic carbon), and AT (alkalinity) are not controlling for the calcification rate but that CO3 2- is the dominant factor. The specification of CT determines how much CO3 2- is available for calcification, and the CO3 2- concentration can be used to describe the response of coral calibration to changes in the chemistry of carbonate (SchneiderErez2006)

ref: CMF De Haes http://www.baharini.eu/baharini/doku.php?id=nl:makazi:chemie:calcificatie
Nice post!
Never chase any numbers.
If you need to make a change do it over a period of weeks not days.
My tank runs 7.9-8.1 day night values.
Whatever values you run your corals will grow and do much better with "STABILITY" of all parameters.
With stability the overall quality of your system will be enhanced.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice post!
Never chase any numbers.
If you need to make a change do it over a period of weeks not days.
My tank runs 7.9-8.1 day night values.
Whatever values you run your corals will grow and do much better with "STABILITY" of all parameters.
With stability the overall quality of your system will be enhanced.
Great posts from both of y’all but I was wanting to get an update from brs on their experiment. Their flow experiment disapproved, to me anyway, that more is better, so I’d like to know if elevated ph makes a difference in overall coral health as well. I’m not a numbers chaser and I have never monitored or even tested ph.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back