Faster way to hatch brine shrimp?

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might not be the best place to post this but I didn’t see any forum I thought was better. I am trying to breed some sexy shrimp and they just released the babies last night. Now I need to get some brine shrimp hatched as fast as possible. Anyone have any tips to get them hatched fast? Any chance of get some within twelve hours?

Phillthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive hatched some fast just putting a tad in my saltwater tank. Was actually a accident believe it or not. But i noticed alot of them hatched fast and the shells just got picked up by the surface skimmer into the overflow.

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive hatched some fast just putting a tad in my saltwater tank. Was actually a accident believe it or not. But i noticed alot of them hatched fast and the shells just got picked up by the surface skimmer into the overflow.
So maybe high light and temperature?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Higher temperatures, light, and decapsulation all make them hatch much much faster.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any tips for decapsulating?
Its tricky until you've done a few times as if you try to decapsulate for too long, you will fry the eggs. We do offer decapsulated eggs for sale, we usually don't ship today, but if you order within the next few hours with next day air, we can get them to you tomorrow. https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/live-foods/brine-shrimp/algaebarn-decapsulated-brine-shrimp-eggs/

We like the methodologies that use sodium hydroxide, but its a dangerous chemical and should only be used after you fully understand the precautions(i.e. we are not liable if you mess up and hurt yourself). You can find a procedure on google.

This methodology uses just bleach, make sure you use the unscented stuff. Sodium thiosulfate is also beneficial to quench the bleach and prevent "overcooking"

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its tricky until you've done a few times as if you try to decapsulate for too long, you will fry the eggs. We do offer decapsulated eggs for sale, we usually don't ship today, but if you order within the next few hours with next day air, we can get them to you tomorrow. https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/live-foods/brine-shrimp/algaebarn-decapsulated-brine-shrimp-eggs/

We like the methodologies that use sodium hydroxide, but its a dangerous chemical and should only be used after you fully understand the precautions(i.e. we are not liable if you mess up and hurt yourself). You can find a procedure on google.

This methodology uses just bleach, make sure you use the unscented stuff. Sodium thiosulfate is also beneficial to quench the bleach and prevent "overcooking"
Thank you, I tried decapsulating some about a week or two ago and they hatched great but the second batch was not nearly as good. I’m guessing based off that article that it either got too hot or I did them for too long. Hopefully this next batch I try will turn out like the first batch. Unfortunately I think the time it would take from ordering them to hatching them would be too long for the larvae to go without food so hopefully I can hatch these ones out. Thank you for the help.

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh also how long do your decapsulated eggs last in the refrigerator and still hatch? I might end up getting them next Time if they have more eggs.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh also how long do your decapsulated eggs last in the refrigerator and still hatch? I might end up getting them next Time if they have more eggs.
3-4 months. They are great for supplemental feeding of the main aquarium!

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do to hatch them? Do you decapsulate?
No, I just dump the eggs into my QT tank overnight and turn off the HOB but leave the wave pumps running. The next day I turn off the waves pumps as well. They all rise to the lights and I scoop them out with a very fine dip net.

Yes, it leaves a lot of shells, but I vacuum out what I can easily and leave the rest. What little CUC I have in there clears them out eventually. The wave pumps stir them up enough for the HOB to get many of them too.

I've tried a couple of hatcheries, but this seems the easiest method for me, and my QT is uninhabited most of the time anyway. A side benefit is that each time I hatch a batch, I get a bunch of munnid isopods too, and they help keep the algae under control in my QT.

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just feeding sexy shrimp I might try Reef Nutrition TDO type A. Very small granular size and might be easier than live food. Very nutritious as well.

HTH

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just feeding sexy shrimp I might try Reef Nutrition TDO type A. Very small granular size and might be easier than live food. Very nutritious as well.

HTH
My goal is to try to raise the baby shrimp. I’ve tried twice now but no luck longer than a few days. I’m hoping to get a bigger batch next time to try. Ive been using decapsulated eggs in heated water and get babies in around 16 hours it seems. I have kept the eggs in high salinity water, like 1.050 and kept them in the fridge. I then use a little bit in the heated water and they hatch pretty good.

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to try to raise the baby shrimp. I’ve tried twice now but no luck longer than a few days. I’m hoping to get a bigger batch next time to try. Ive been using decapsulated eggs in heated water and get babies in around 16 hours it seems. I have kept the eggs in high salinity water, like 1.050 and kept them in the fridge. I then use a little bit in the heated water and they hatch pretty good.
Are you hoping to raise them to adults just to feed the shrimp, or more of the fun of it?

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you hoping to raise them to adults just to feed the shrimp, or more of the fun of it?
No sorry, my goal is to breed sexy shrimp and raise them to adults. The baby sexy shrimp need to eat fresh hatched brine shrimp so I need to hatch a lot of brine shrimp.

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hatch them in 2 litre bottles
I use a couple tablespoons of aquarium salt and a bubbler, they hatch in 24-36 hours.
I buy eggs by the pound from brine shrimp direct.

OP
OP
C

Cobystolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hatch them in 2 litre bottles
I use a couple tablespoons of aquarium salt and a bubbler, they hatch in 24-36 hours.
I buy eggs by the pound from brine shrimp direct.

I’ve been using decapsulated. I decapsulated them and put them in super high salinity water in the refrigerator and then put two liter bottles in a bucket of water with a heater and use the eggs from the refrigerator and they hatch in 18 hours or so it seems like.

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using decapsulated. I decapsulated them and put them in super high salinity water in the refrigerator and then put two liter bottles in a bucket of water with a heater and use the eggs from the refrigerator and they hatch in 18 hours or so it seems like.
Then just have a batch going all the time and time wont be a problem.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back