Fat Head Dendro Skeleton

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been looking at a few pictures of Dendro's I have noticed that some/most of them the skeleton has receded upwards from the base and has basically turned grey/brown almost looks like rock is that normal? Seems like its not. Should it stay light orange all the way down to the base? And how do you maintain the skeleton healthy looking. Thanks guys!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dendro has always been orange all the way down.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cal is actually very high usually around 500, Alk usually around 8. They are under 250W MH.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool my alk stays around 7-7.5 cal stays up at around 460. are they off to the side or a ledge ?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest they are actually high up on a frag rack in pretty high light.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok just contacted 2 vendors going to try to get about 5 heads and give them a try

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine every other day mostly mysis and limpets frozen (it's like rods food).
When I got mine I had a salinity mishap and it pretty much died only leaving a cpl orange specs smaller than a pin head. I left it in the tank and fixed the salinity. That was around 10 months ago and all the specs grew into nice heads.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skeleton gets exposed because the Dendro is starving. Meaning it is not able to support the living tissue I.e receding . I've bought many dendros with their heads receded all the way into the skeleton. When you feed them regularly they begin to grow and form a new skeleton kind of like Duncan does. Side note overdressing dendros leads to a gut rot, meaning dendro will die if you feed it every day. Every other day a little bit of food is ideal.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok thanks guys that definitely explains it for me since they and NPS they need need food unlike Duncans that can go with out feeding for periods of time.

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok thanks guys that definitely explains it for me since they and NPS they need need food unlike Duncans that can go with out feeding for periods of time.

Try telling my Duncan that.... I think I saw him standing on the edge of the tank cursing me out when I came home from work yesterday. Even made little balled-up fists at me. Little *******..... I'm thinking he's Irish. LOL

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skeleton gets exposed because the Dendro is starving. Meaning it is not able to support the living tissue I.e receding . I've bought many dendros with their heads receded all the way into the skeleton. When you feed them regularly they begin to grow and form a new skeleton kind of like Duncan does. Side note overdressing dendros leads to a gut rot, meaning dendro will die if you feed it every day. Every other day a little bit of food is ideal.

I've had my Dendros for over 7 years and last month I came across something I have never seen before. One of the heads was fully extended from feeding the day/night before. It just retracted completely back into the skeleton and while doing so it expelled some food from the night before. I've also come across them spitting up some of the food the following day as the partially eaten food was covered in a bit of slime just outside the head. My Dendros might be different as they seem to be able to get rid of excess food. I feed them 2-4 times a week. Mainly pellets.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back