Fat_Cat's 19 gallon rimless cube

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a new build thread! I'm getting back into the hobby after a ~year long hiatus, starting from scratch with a brand new tank.

**SPECS BELOW EDITED 12/30/2015 TO BRING EQUIPMENT LIST UP TO DATE**

Display tank: 19 gallon drilled Starphire glass rimless cube (well more or less a cube: 18" wide x 15" deep x 16" high) with black wood stand
Sump: it's a wet-dry filter sump, volume is about 11 gallons. Ditched the bio balls.
Lighting: I had planned on LEDs for the setup, specifically a Nanobox duo fixture. But for now I'm using a Current USA Nova Extreme Pro 6-bulb T5 unit
Filtration: This tank was skimmerless for about a year. I finally decided to add a small skimmer to the sump. The Tunze Comline DOC 9001 will be added in January 2016. I occasionally run carbon in the sump as well, as needed
Dosing: Bubble Magus BM-T01 for automated dosing of 2-part calcium alkalinity additives
Flow: Ecotech Marine Vortech MP-10ES, with battery backup. And the flow provided by the return, pump by AquaVim
Rock/Sand: Some manufactured reefer rock type rock, some live rock sourced from local hobbyists. Sand is a very very thin bed of white sugar-fine aragonite.

I plan to do mostly SPS for this tank. Also planning on a pair of clowns and a nem, which I loved when I had it in my old tank, but the nem may not happen-- we will see.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome ! Can't wait to see it the plan looks solid

Top level gear too its great

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome!

Tank came today. I was so excited, it was like Christmas morning!!

The pics aren't great, but here's the setup:
image3.JPG

And the rock formation... drilled on top for frag plugs:
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

For whatever reason I can't get the pics of the plumbing underneath to upload. It's pretty much done but the one thing I don't understand is, it seems like the connections are too delicate, like if I bump some of them the PVC will come loose. That can't be viable as a connection to be water tight. I assume I need to use PVC glue on all the connections (except for the ones with screwed connection like the fitting to the pump and the bulk head fitting that goes to the tank?)... any input is welcome from someone who knows what's what

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 580
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes once you have your plumbing set up you glue them in place.

Awesome, thank you! I'll be doing that this weekend... I'll try to only glue the pieces that absolutely need it, so that if I need to change anything later I don't have to take a saw to the setup!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you want to use is a Union fitting for sections of piping.

slip_union_1.jpg

This will allow you to unscrew the piping in sections for cleaning or moving your aquarium in the future. You can pick these up at Home depot or Lowes in the plumbing section.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So! Progress! The sump is good to go. After some more research I used PVC cement for most fittings, and a silicone seal for one fitting, which will allow me to take everything apart in 2 large pieces (right side unscrews at the bulkhead fitting, left side unscrews at the return pump, so just the PVC piece that joins the left and right side needs to disconnect). We also moved the tank- I'll post pics soon.

Now I am all set except for my water. I was disappointed to find that my RODI filter adapter doesn't fit the sink in my new house. So I had to order a new adapter, which won't arrive until later this week. As soon as I can do that I can make up some clean water and get things started!!

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOOHOO the tank is wet! lol

Finally got the part, made my RODI water, and put some in to test my plumbing. Well of course there was a leak at the bulkhead flange, so I took it apart and put it back together 3 or 4 times before I was able to get it to stop leaking.

So I've filled the tank, turned on the heater and started adding salt. By tomorrow it should be ready for live rock rubble to get this cycle started woo!

My only question, should anyone be reading this and know the answer: the overflow is a dragonflow overflow so it's a weird setup, but it was super loud. I was able to get it quiet with the help of filter floss (stuffed in there to make it not sound like a waterfall). I'm not concerned about water draining properly because it does seem to be--I'm worried that that filter floss will end up harboring Nitrates like crazy. Would it be okay if I removed and cleaned it in RODI water weekly?

Anyway, here's a pic. Don't mind the spoon haha it's to help mix the salt. Next update will be cycling
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only question, should anyone be reading this and know the answer: the overflow is a dragonflow overflow so it's a weird setup, but it was super loud. I was able to get it quiet with the help of filter floss (stuffed in there to make it not sound like a waterfall). I'm not concerned about water draining properly because it does seem to be--I'm worried that that filter floss will end up harboring Nitrates like crazy. Would it be okay if I removed and cleaned it in RODI water weekly?

You will build up detritus in the sponge if you stuff it in the overflow. Rinsing it will not get rid of all of it, so slowly you will get a nitrate factory in there. It runs the risk of getting clogged as well which could cause a flood possibility on your floor. As for quieting it down, it is hard in the style of overflows, it's known to be a noisy one. You can try to control the flow rate down and close the balls valves a little from the drain pipes. It may raise the water level enough over the return line to quiet it down. Or you can change your overflow system to a durso type or external overflow and have either a durso or bean animal. Tough call though since you have water in your tank now, but it's not too late, you just started, so it may be worth considering to deal with noise and create redundancy in your system to reduce flood risk.

here are some links I found that may help you: Dragonflow ? - Manhattan Reefs

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will build up detritus in the sponge if you stuff it in the overflow. Rinsing it will not get rid of all of it, so slowly you will get a nitrate factory in there. It runs the risk of getting clogged as well which could cause a flood possibility on your floor. As for quieting it down, it is hard in the style of overflows, it's known to be a noisy one. You can try to control the flow rate down and close the balls valves a little from the drain pipes. It may raise the water level enough over the return line to quiet it down. Or you can change your overflow system to a durso type or external overflow and have either a durso or bean animal. Tough call though since you have water in your tank now, but it's not too late, you just started, so it may be worth considering to deal with noise and create redundancy in your system to reduce flood risk.

here are some links I found that may help you: Dragonflow ? - Manhattan Reefs

Home - Durso Standpipes

Thank you for this! I had already come to the sad conclusion that I would eventually have to remove the filter floss as the risk of overflow was too high to chance it, but I wasn't sure what I was going to do instead. I had read threads about restricting the flow but for some reason I thought they meant on the RETURN, not the drain. Now it makes total sense haha. I removed the floss and restricted the flow and the noise is MUCH better-- not ideal, but definitely could get used to this level of noise.

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this! I had already come to the sad conclusion that I would eventually have to remove the filter floss as the risk of overflow was too high to chance it, but I wasn't sure what I was going to do instead. I had read threads about restricting the flow but for some reason I thought they meant on the RETURN, not the drain. Now it makes total sense haha. I removed the floss and restricted the flow and the noise is MUCH better-- not ideal, but definitely could get used to this level of noise.

Awesome. Ya it's not a good idea to restrict the return as you put a lot of head pressure on the return pump and risk wearing it out prematurely. Consider the durso setup too as a mod to your dragonflow. I've read a lot of good things about it in terms of noise reduction doing my research for my next build. Glad it's improving. Looking forward to seeing your set up as it develops.

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy your tank? I have been looking for a tank just like this one to get back into the hobby with as well.

I ordered mine here: 4-Ultra they make a lot of incredible tanks, but their prices are steep. Try checking out their Special Deals page, I got mine there for a lot less than they usually charge.

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Picking up some live rock from a local reefer tonight! Also, think I'm going to be able to get a great deal on a Current USA 6 bulb T5 HO light. I had originally planned on LEDs for this tank and going all out, but my fiance and I have finally picked a wedding venue and we had to shell out a lot of dough upfront sooo yeah this tank needs to stop hemorrhaging money. At least until it's time to add corals that is XD

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet tank!

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ammonia showing yet (I don't think-- hard to tell with those color swatches. But definitely no Nitrites yet so not cycling)-- I added some rock from an established tank and checked for a while, and then added some fish food for about 2 days. If ammonia doesn't show up soon I'll add more fish food I guess. Not sure how long it's supposed to take to get started but I'm trying not to be impatient. But it's so hard when I want to add some corals jsd;fjsldkgj

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's cycling! Also, got my lights. Paid $50 for them brand new so I couldn't say no, even though most people wouldn't choose T5's as the first choice for SPS (but my old tank was T5s and I've always been happy with em).

First fish will be a pair of clowns, as soon as the cycle is complete. It's well on its way since I added a bunch of live rock from a local reefer's tank. Actually may be cycled already, I'm showing no ammonia or nitrites but low nitrates (that's what happened in my old tank, never showed ammonia or 'trites but since I got all my rock from a local established reef tank it was instantly cycled). But I'll wait a bit.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back