OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update!

I found a reefer in my area who was breaking down his tank in preparation for a cross-country move, and snagged some live rock and a bunch of corals (including a colony) for $30. When the rocks didn't look great with my existing setup I decided to change it up, take out the flat "shelf" piece I had in there (putting it aside for possible use down the line) and completely changed the aquascape in the tank.

Here's the result! Don't mind the graveyard of frags on the sand bed lol a rock fell on the new colony and broke a bunch of pieces off, took this pic before I had a chance to mount them on plugs. Let me know what you think!!
image1edited.jpg

I'm hoping that the new structure will allow SPS's to get close enough to the light to prevent some of the issues I saw before (namely, slow death when parameters were all okay). Right now everything looks happy, parameters are in check and I'm feeling enthusiastic about the tank again!

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini update. The SPS are all doing very well, with a definite improvement in color and polyp extension. I think they really needed to be closer to the lights. A little annoyed that I can't get 2 things to stay put where I want them (I'll glue them in place and they'll stay for a while but will get knocked loose if I brush against them during a tank cleaning... grr).

I've had a burst of film algae lately, I think it might be from the new rock leaching phosphates. Phosphates and nitrates still measure 0 using Salifert tests, but there could have been some released that have been bound up by the algae.

Lastly, there has been a big development in my personal life that may effect things with the tank. My husband and I recently found out we are pregnant. Which was a surprise, but a good one. Anyway, I'm torn on what to do about the tank. Part of me thinks I should sell the livestock, tear it down and put it in storage until we are past the infant stages where it's highly unlikely I'll have the time or energy needed to keep the tank looking good... but part of me doesn't want to tear it down when I'm just now getting into a groove and making progress. We will see.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini update. The SPS are all doing very well, with a definite improvement in color and polyp extension. I think they really needed to be closer to the lights. A little annoyed that I can't get 2 things to stay put where I want them (I'll glue them in place and they'll stay for a while but will get knocked loose if I brush against them during a tank cleaning... grr).

I've had a burst of film algae lately, I think it might be from the new rock leaching phosphates. Phosphates and nitrates still measure 0 using Salifert tests, but there could have been some released that have been bound up by the algae.

Lastly, there has been a big development in my personal life that may effect things with the tank. My husband and I recently found out we are pregnant. Which was a surprise, but a good one. Anyway, I'm torn on what to do about the tank. Part of me thinks I should sell the livestock, tear it down and put it in storage until we are past the infant stages where it's highly unlikely I'll have the time or energy needed to keep the tank looking good... but part of me doesn't want to tear it down when I'm just now getting into a groove and making progress. We will see.

I had the same thoughts when my wife was pregnant. Kept my tank and was able to keep up with maintenance. That was with twins too. You should be ok to keep it!

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I hope I can keep it. I'm feeling good about it lately.

Making some updates to the first post on this thread to reflect new equipment on the tank :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back