Favia adherence

piscesgirl

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 29, 2023
Messages
180
Reaction score
318
Location
Bayview
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’ve got a favia that I’ve kept for about 9 months. It’s dome shaped and normally rests on the sand bottom. About 3 months ago, I made the horrible mistake of picking up a melanarus wrasse and the guys a dick. I’ve managed to anchor everything else down and secure it, but he’s got it in for my favia and flips it over on its dome several times a day.
I bought a trap, everyone goes in BUT him. I’ve tried the inverted soda bottle, won’t work. I’ve tried scooping him up while he’s sleeping and he smart…he darts.
At this point, I just want to secure my favia. The underside is soft and slimy so I’m not confident super glue or epoxy would stick.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
 
So the favia is completely grown around the plug/rock it was on?
 
Hi! I’ve got a favia that I’ve kept for about 9 months. It’s dome shaped and normally rests on the sand bottom. About 3 months ago, I made the horrible mistake of picking up a melanarus wrasse and the guys a dick. I’ve managed to anchor everything else down and secure it, but he’s got it in for my favia and flips it over on its dome several times a day.
I bought a trap, everyone goes in BUT him. I’ve tried the inverted soda bottle, won’t work. I’ve tried scooping him up while he’s sleeping and he smart…he darts.
At this point, I just want to secure my favia. The underside is soft and slimy so I’m not confident super glue or epoxy would stick.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
What about an anemone guard?
 
I think you’re on to something! It’s not the prettiest, but at least he’ll be safe lol
Thank you
There’s some cool ones out there that fluoresce under leds and stuff like that. Hopefully it works!
 
There’s some cool ones out there that fluoresce under leds and stuff like that. Hopefully it works!
I love it…I really don’t want to tear the tank down just to nab this wrasse lol my flame angel and fox face keep him in check for the most part, but he sure sees this coral as a toy.
 
I found a guy that makes protective magnetic frag boxes. Saved my Goni until I could replace a fish.

I messaged the seller and for a small extra fee I had mine made to be 4x4x4

It comes with two clamping locks to hold the lid on

B0CB29CA-C36E-438B-A841-12924E991268.png
 
I found a guy that makes protective magnetic frag boxes. Saved my Goni until I could replace a fish.

I messaged the seller and for a small extra fee I had mine made to be 4x4x4

It comes with two clamping locks to hold the lid on

B0CB29CA-C36E-438B-A841-12924E991268.png
That’s a great idea! After three weeks and the wrasse still avoiding the trap-door box, I decided to just put some sand and the favia in there. But, I don’t think there was enough water flow going in because he quit extending and part of him started to look sick so I took him out. It looks like your box has plenty of flow.
I’ve got him placed in front of my angel’s pot because he hates the wrasse and chases him away lol

Does anyone have ideas of how to catch the wrasse? He’s fast, smart, and knows what a trap and net are. Lol
 
That’s a great idea! After three weeks and the wrasse still avoiding the trap-door box, I decided to just put some sand and the favia in there. But, I don’t think there was enough water flow going in because he quit extending and part of him started to look sick so I took him out. It looks like your box has plenty of flow.
I’ve got him placed in front of my angel’s pot because he hates the wrasse and chases him away lol

Does anyone have ideas of how to catch the wrasse? He’s fast, smart, and knows what a trap and net are. Lol
Here are pictures of the 4x4x4 with the lid clamps on. It has plenty of flow and I was able to protect numerous frags of gonipora and zoa

Your wrasse wouldn’t get to the favia in here, and it would have room to open and extend. I would turn off flow and use a baster to drop food in through the slots so I wouldn’t need to remove the lid and the locks

0E22FB40-BDFD-40EB-92D2-0A58FCDD921B.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new