"Favia" growth question

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what my coral exactly is, but it is in the group that we usually just refer to as "Favia" for better or for worse.

For these types of corals (Favia, Dispsastraea, Favites, etc), will they grow outward if placed on the sand bed? Many coral will grow new polyps/heads outward, stretching on to the surrounding rock. I am wondering, if there is no rock around, will it continue to grow out it's core skeleton and increase outward on it's own?

favia.png

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, same question for Gonis - I have a nice little colony that seems happiest on an open part of the sandbed. The frag is quite small and will need to grow outward onto new skeleton.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what my coral exactly is, but it is in the group that we usually just refer to as "Favia" for better or for worse.

For these types of corals (Favia, Dispsastraea, Favites, etc), will they grow outward if placed on the sand bed? Many coral will grow new polyps/heads outward, stretching on to the surrounding rock. I am wondering, if there is no rock around, will it continue to grow out it's core skeleton and increase outward on it's own?

favia.png
Yes I have 2 favia on my sand bed it grows outward but it’s more sensitive since it’s not attached to anything it’s brittle

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the genus. In the wild, Dipsastraea (Indo-Pacific Favia) will have a massive (hemispherical) growth form, while Favites will be more encrusting/sub-massive. In captivity however, most massive (growth-form) corals will tend to encrust rather than growing into large domes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back