"Favia" growth question

Bohemian Waxwing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2023
Messages
2,919
Reaction score
4,571
Location
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what my coral exactly is, but it is in the group that we usually just refer to as "Favia" for better or for worse.

For these types of corals (Favia, Dispsastraea, Favites, etc), will they grow outward if placed on the sand bed? Many coral will grow new polyps/heads outward, stretching on to the surrounding rock. I am wondering, if there is no rock around, will it continue to grow out it's core skeleton and increase outward on it's own?

favia.png
 
Also, same question for Gonis - I have a nice little colony that seems happiest on an open part of the sandbed. The frag is quite small and will need to grow outward onto new skeleton.
 
I am not sure what my coral exactly is, but it is in the group that we usually just refer to as "Favia" for better or for worse.

For these types of corals (Favia, Dispsastraea, Favites, etc), will they grow outward if placed on the sand bed? Many coral will grow new polyps/heads outward, stretching on to the surrounding rock. I am wondering, if there is no rock around, will it continue to grow out it's core skeleton and increase outward on it's own?

favia.png
Yes I have 2 favia on my sand bed it grows outward but it’s more sensitive since it’s not attached to anything it’s brittle
 
I believe some favia can also encrust on rocks.
 
Depends on the genus. In the wild, Dipsastraea (Indo-Pacific Favia) will have a massive (hemispherical) growth form, while Favites will be more encrusting/sub-massive. In captivity however, most massive (growth-form) corals will tend to encrust rather than growing into large domes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new