Favia or favite or goniastrea ?

Tropical lionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favite.JPG

Hello experts ! need some help in id please...Got this recently from LFS who is not sure if this a favite or favia or a goniastrea...The image is taken under 14000 K / Actinic T5 combo. Highly appreciate any help... Learning and drooling over corals and fishes everyday from Denmark. No forum beats R2R. Period. :)

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, they look so similar but I am thinking...that I have no idea (but leaning towards Goniastrea) lol Lets hope someone who knows can come along and let us know.

OP
OP
T

Tropical lionfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot Shep! it is kinda hard to tell these apart...and I am also inclined to goniastrea, But wondering if any other experts could be kind enough to help me get a more positive id...And I guess the care pattern for all 3 are pretty similar? moderate flow and moderate light?

John Stuckey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Favia. It looks to me that each polyp has its own ridge. Favites have a single ridge between each polyp.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 25.0%
Back