Favia - Out of Control

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on how to:
a. Frag a favia that’s spreading onto the rocks and encroaching on other favias.
b. Contain it going forward

For a. I tried cutting it with a scalpel which worked well but I can’t get the cut piece off the rock.it’s like it’s glued down.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the trump method and build a wall. Out of epoxy that is.

Ive done this with just about every encrusting coral Ive had. If you want to keep two corals apart build a small hill/hump/wall of epoxy. I usually do 1" lengths in a line to make a fence. Then let the coral grow onto the epoxy and when it gets too big you pop the epoxy off and you have an instant frag.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive done this with just about every encrusting coral Ive had. If you want to keep two corals apart build a small hill/hump/wall of epoxy. I usually do 1" lengths in a line to make a fence. Then let the coral grow onto the epoxy and when it gets too big you pop the epoxy off and you have an instant frag.
This is a good idea ( not the trump reference) :). Guess I would need to make an incision on the main body side and then just pop off the epoxy. Would just need to ensure I remember cause if it grows up and over the wall. I'd need to do it all over again.
Wondering if in order to make the coral smaller overall I can put epoxy over what's grown? Maybe that would kill it and then it would try to grow from inside the epoxy wall and I can pop it off when the time is right.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why not instead of epoxy use the 3” frag discs , break them in half and glue them between the them . “ The trump wall idea” is a great idea and I bet you could use just about anything that’s thin with varying heights or translucency if you didn’t want it to stick out . I wish I came up with that !!! Good thinking !!

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would also work. I guess the main idea is to put something between the coral and the real estate. I like the epoxy idea because I can make a circle easily with it and put it down around the entire coral.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back