Favorite Aquascaping Styles: Bonsai, Floating, Island etc?

What aquascaping aspects do you like to incorporate into your tank? (choose all that apply)

  • Caves

    Votes: 319 60.1%
  • Arches

    Votes: 312 58.8%
  • Floating

    Votes: 91 17.1%
  • Bonsai

    Votes: 72 13.6%
  • Islands

    Votes: 250 47.1%
  • Shelves

    Votes: 167 31.5%
  • Stacked Walls

    Votes: 55 10.4%
  • Negative Space

    Votes: 183 34.5%
  • Tunnels

    Votes: 176 33.1%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 14 2.6%

  • Total voters
    531

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,861
Reaction score
122,510
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We just got back from RAP NY and we had an amazing time. Walking around the show floor some of the tanks I saw had some beautiful and well thought out aquascaping. One aquascape in particular I instantly loved but it occurred to me that this style of aquascaping (arches and caves) being displayed might not be as appealing to others as it was to me. Which leads to the QOTD today! I'm a sucker for a cool aquascape so I thought we would talk about it today.

1. What is your favorite style of aquascaping and why?

2. What aquascaping aspects do you like to incorporate into your tank?


image via @W.vreeswijk
D21BE1F6-CE68-45AE-A71B-E6C1BCEE1926.jpeg
 
I love the island and lagoon look. My first ever snorkeling in Hawaii was this type and I fell for it. I keep tons of open swimming for the fish, lots of nooks/crannies, caves and tunnels.
 
All of them.

I've been watching coral reef videos on You tube recently mostly stuff shot in the Red Sea. Pretty much every aquascape style seems to be represented in nature. Lone rocks over a sandy bottom with a few coral clusters, massive vertical walls, overhangs with caves, surge zone reef flats, coral valleys, ship wrecks being overtaken...it's all there if you take look.
 
Just started my negative space last night. Still a ton to go but I have a good base for my 25 gallon peninsula
 

Attachments

  • 602DC328-DF11-4991-9795-16E4A5569BA9.jpeg
    602DC328-DF11-4991-9795-16E4A5569BA9.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 355
  • 0AEA996A-6E16-435A-BBD6-A3FC08DCF805.jpeg
    0AEA996A-6E16-435A-BBD6-A3FC08DCF805.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 304
I'm all for minimal rockwork. As an SPS keeper, I want the corals to form the scape, not the rock. I could care less how the rock looks, because within a few years I shouldn't be able to see any bare rock.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new