Favorite Corals On A Budget

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am fairly new to the world of reefing (6 Months) and especially R2R (Few weeks) and don't necessarily know where to post this. But anyways. I always am looking at the Marketplace feed and all the time i see posts about corals that are $500+ and even today I saw a tiny frag that was $999.99, so what I am asking is, are there any budget friendly corals that really pop and aren't as common? As much as I'd like to save up and spend half a grand on a coral, I personally couldn't justify it. I know what most of the replies are going to be "Save up" "Wait for later" "Too bad" and stuff like that, but like I said I am fairly new to the reefing game and would appreciate hearing/seeing what you're favorite cheaper corals are!

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im with ya. Some are just crazy expensive:confused:
I know right! I see all these corals on WWC and the marketplace feed and even in my LFS that are $500-$1000, which for me is food/groceries, rent money, and other necessities and it shatters my dreams of owning a tank like the ones I see on here that are absolutely outstanding.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search out local reefers looking to sell. It's been my experience that when you buy on line, its buyer beware. I've had issues with most, it isn't fair, you have no recourse, and I just got screwed again. Every coral I buy from a local reefer usually survives, 99% satisfaction. Stay away from these Live Sales, you really never know what your getting, very disappointing

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are several beautiful corals under $50.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are probably more corals that are reasonably priced than there are ones hitting the outrageous prices. People post the higher end stuff places like this because there is a larger audience.

Zoas can go from $1-500 per polyp, but if you aren't caught up in the name game and having the most exotic ones, there are countless really beautiful ones. Hammers/torches/frogspawns are usually $10ish per head. Get 2-3 and let them grow. I could go on and on, but it does not have to be outrageous if you look at places like local clubs, Craigslist, eBay, etc.

Where are you located?

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search out local reefers looking to sell. It's been my experience that when you buy on line, its buyer beware. I've had issues with most, it isn't fair, you have no recourse, and I just got screwed again. Every coral I buy from a local reefer usually survives, 99% satisfaction. Stay away from these Live Sales, you really never know what your getting, very disappointing
Thats what I try to do. I shop around at 4-5 different LFS's and two local reefers who own business and sell equipment ad frags out of their homes, but being in Phoenix, Arizona, it's a little hard to find good quality. Two of the LFS's have been going downhill for years and are getting worse and worse and the other two are outrageously priced. Im talking 40-50 bucks for a single Duncan head. I paid the price to get it and its growing fantastically, but after looking online and what others in Cali, NY, or FL pay its insane.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are probably more corals that are reasonably priced than there are ones hitting the outrageous prices. People post the higher end stuff places like this because there is a larger audience.

Zoas can go from $1-500 per polyp, but if you aren't caught up in the name game and having the most exotic ones, there are countless really beautiful ones. Hammers/torches/frogspawns are usually $10ish per head. Get 2-3 and let them grow. I could go on and on, but it does not have to be outrageous if you look at places like local clubs, Craigslist, eBay, etc.

Where are you located?

That makes sense, I've never thought about it that way. And I am more of a looks over name type of guy. Don't get me wrong I love knowing exactly what a coral is to brag to local reefers, but I've seen some unnamed zoas that give WWC a run for their money. And the only thing that I dont necessarily like about Ebay and buy online is the Wysiwyg factor and the shipping. The cheapest ive seen for shipping to Phoenix is 45 from California and when I am bidding on a $5 frag and paying 8-9 times that price for shipping hurts, especially when some groups dont ship items together, so five $5 corals cost $225 to ship.. And some Local clubs are nice, Here in Phoenix we have the facebook group $10 Frag Club which is ran out of a LFS, but the quality and variety is ehh. Not to bag on them, because I've bought well over $100 worth of stuff from them, but its just a constant rotation of generic zoa's, shrooms, duncans, and hammers.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try pairing up with other reefer and buy together to get enough for free shipping.
I just got acros pak from Reef Pets for $189 shipped. 5 sweet frags for basically 37.50 each.
cae118f760496f4a5acb4d1397fc6b91.jpg

Some of my favorite and rare corals were less than $50.
I have a tubenera heroensis from Joe Knows Reefs that I believe was $39.99
850dd0554f6507bf850f81386c5bb312.jpg

Doesn't look like much in the picture, but in my tank it has gotten this awesome blue to green skin on it.
ab07de224d7483b9ec008367d54f6ddf.jpg

Designer label (Jason Fox) for $25.
they are out there, you just have to take your time and shop around.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of a double edged sword. You are asking for cheap corals that "aren't as common" It's usually the more uncommon something is the more people are willing to pay to have it and therefore the sellers are going to ask for more money because those people have no issues with paying for that "uncommon or rare" coral.
Then you are saying that you found cheap coral, $10 a frag, but that the stuff is too common. $10 a frag for mushrooms hammers and duncans sounds pretty good to me. It's like where I live I can walk into a store and buy assortments of of, goniopora, duncan, euphyllia, zoos, palys, mushrooms, blastos, leathers, across, montis, on down the line for under $25, usually less, but if I want "uncommon or rare" I am going to have to spend more than the $5 frags, that's just the way businesses work. If I could call up a wholesaler and order home wrecker frags and bounce mushrooms for $2 a frag like the other stuff they would be sold for $10 too, but it comes down to supply/demand and what someone else is willing to pay.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try pairing up with other reefer and buy together to get enough for free shipping.
I just got acros pak from Reef Pets for $189 shipped. 5 sweet frags for basically 37.50 each.
cae118f760496f4a5acb4d1397fc6b91.jpg

Some of my favorite and rare corals were less than $50.
I have a tubenera heroensis from Joe Knows Reefs that I believe was $39.99
850dd0554f6507bf850f81386c5bb312.jpg

Doesn't look like much in the picture, but in my tank it has gotten this awesome blue to green skin on it.
ab07de224d7483b9ec008367d54f6ddf.jpg

Designer label (Jason Fox) for $25.
they are out there, you just have to take your time and shop around.

Sweet I will for sure have to check these out!

It's kind of a double edged sword. You are asking for cheap corals that "aren't as common" It's usually the more uncommon something is the more people are willing to pay to have it and therefore the sellers are going to ask for more money because those people have no issues with paying for that "uncommon or rare" coral.
Then you are saying that you found cheap coral, $10 a frag, but that the stuff is too common. $10 a frag for mushrooms hammers and duncans sounds pretty good to me. It's like where I live I can walk into a store and buy assortments of of, goniopora, duncan, euphyllia, zoos, palys, mushrooms, blastos, leathers, across, montis, on down the line for under $25, usually less, but if I want "uncommon or rare" I am going to have to spend more than the $5 frags, that's just the way businesses work. If I could call up a wholesaler and order home wrecker frags and bounce mushrooms for $2 a frag like the other stuff they would be sold for $10 too, but it comes down to supply/demand and what someone else is willing to pay.

I figured I would get a response like this. I just don't quite know how to word my question/thoughts I guess. I think what I am trying to ask is what are some decently priced corals that arent as common as GSP, Duncans, Frogspawn, Hammers, etc. Some that will have an effect of wow thats bada** and didn't steal from my college funds lol.

I understand the supply and demand chain and thats why some of the bank breakers cost that much and why some zoas are practically given away for free.

I figure I should ask what are some corals that wont break the bank, but arent in the discount bin lol. I am sorry if this doesn't make sense, I've always struggled with getting my thoughts down on paper since I had a TBI and it sucks. Thats why these forums are amazing yet horrible for me.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite cheaper corals for newish tanks are: Acans, hammer/ frogspawn (or any euphyllia), rhodactis mushrooms, chalices, toadstool leathers, and of course; zoas and gsp.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua sd has some killer lps frags for around 30 to 40 bucks, when you add shipping on top of that it adds up quick. I bought some platys and some favias from them that glow under led's. just killer piece's. but it does add up fast.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll say it. I love gsp and Xenia. Most people will say it's invasive. Those "reef weeds" sway so beautifully.

Goslugsgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the local reef club recommendation. If you go to the meetings and have a cool vibe you'll be able to acquire nice corals supercheap.
Just be ready to pitch in when someone needs help, a tank moved, etc. Quid pro quo and all that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back