Deciding on diy or a kit. Which one?

Desidoop

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2026
Messages
50
Reaction score
84
Location
usa
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I am doing my research I am debating on whether to get the hello reef 15 gallon tank kit that comes with everything or do a 20 gallon long tank and diy on parts of it except the stand. I do wish to keep a sea urchin so I thought 20 gallon is better but then I also thought as I searched more about anemones that urchins and anemones will not mix in an anemone and clown fish tank set up like hello reef. Then I thought I can customize and not do anemones and do corals in the 15 gallon too. Or just do the 20 gallon and have the urchin, the clowns and whatever else in what I hope to be a reef tank one day. I have too many ideas and I am new and just need some direction. I am also trying to do this on a budget. Which is better for me to do?
 
Best value's for budget reefing involves saving money, defining what you want, and eventually finding a score tank with the features you want from somebody who is exiting the hobby.
Avoid Red Sea used tanks, and try to find a set up that is still running so you can see it in operation. GL
 
The Hello Reef kit is OK, but I think you can do better putting your own system together, and members here can help if you have questions about what gear to get. The Hello Reef tank is actually an Innovative Marine 15 gallon All-In-One. I just got an email that Innovative Marine has all their desktop tanks back in stock and on sale. I would just order an IM 15, 20, or 25 lagoon and build from there.

https://www.innovative-marine.com/shop/NUVO-Starter-Kits-c167158004
Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new