OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a successful first tank, a rs aio 60 that grew everything. Until it crashed... 1st neg. milestone was marine velvet in that tank. and tank ran on higher parameters

2nd tank, 125 was ultimately a negative overall except I learned how to use a sump and designed/put it together (hubby did the plumbing after I figured it out). Too many negatives including a used tank (no glass clarity), marco rock not rinsed, poor lights, constant powerhead failures, high no3 and po4

3rd tank is my biggest milestone. Best in numbers, best set up, best in corals including sps and goni's
--240 gal
--1 mo old and is perfect!
--perfect parameters including po4 (having to dose) and no 3 at 5. This is a huge one for me
Better tank (RS 3xl900), better equipment, UV Sterilizer , good rock, and soon, apex hooked up

20211102_183834.jpg
The new tank is looking great! I really like the branching rock aquascape you put together!

It's interesting to hear about your struggles with your second tank. I've had similar success with my first tank (also an AIO) and I'm a little nervous about upgrading to a larger tank with a sump as I have no experience with one. I'm glad to hear you stuck with the hobby despite the frustrations of your second build.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is looking great! I really like the branching rock aquascape you put together!

It's interesting to hear about your struggles with your second tank. I've had similar success with my first tank (also an AIO) and I'm a little nervous about upgrading to a larger tank with a sump as I have no experience with one. I'm glad to hear you stuck with the hobby despite the frustrations of your second build.
Best decision, and super costly, was changing from marco rock to caribsea and Real Reef. If you upgrade, just plan and be smart and take your time. The sump wasn't part of my problem, although my new sump is way better and almost totally quiet. My returns drained into the filter socks and it was always noisy. Now, water drains in its own chamber and flows to the filter cups and socks. Way more efficient!

With tank 2, I was in too big a hurry to get a bigger tank--wanted it now--so I bought almost the first think I saw used and didn't realize the difference starfire glass made. Choosing good rock is also important. Or washing and rinsing marco rock really well. and going higher end equipment like powerheads and lights. It was a learning experience but a hard one as 3 years sort of wasted. When I tore it down, it was finally a thriving tank lol's. I wish you all the best.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess each tank upgrade is a milestone: 16G to 29G to 44G to 65G to 140G.

Then adding a 300G frag system.

Within a given tank, my milestones would be when you get to the point where the corals have outgrown the tank and you just have to rip the reef out and restart. This is the reef I had to rip out about 9 months ago. Honestly it is still a work in process.

Right side.JPG

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best decision, and super costly, was changing from marco rock to caribsea and Real Reef. If you upgrade, just plan and be smart and take your time. The sump wasn't part of my problem, although my new sump is way better and almost totally quiet. My returns drained into the filter socks and it was always noisy. Now, water drains in its own chamber and flows to the filter cups and socks. Way more efficient!

With tank 2, I was in too big a hurry to get a bigger tank--wanted it now--so I bought almost the first think I saw used and didn't realize the difference starfire glass made. Choosing good rock is also important. Or washing and rinsing marco rock really well. and going higher end equipment like powerheads and lights. It was a learning experience but a hard one as 3 years sort of wasted. When I tore it down, it was finally a thriving tank lol's. I wish you all the best.
What was the overarching issue with the MarcoRock? Was it just dirty (hence you recommending washing/rinsing it well)? I ask because I recently purchased about 20lbs of it with the intent of setting up a small 10 gallon system with an extra tank I have laying around. I'm planning to cure the rock for a good while since I'm not in a rush, but I'd appreciate a heads up on any potential hurdles or pitfalls to look out for.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef tank was a milestone, it was 32 years ago, I really was flying by the seat of my pants and alot of stuff survived.
My second biggest milestone was filling that same tank up after 25 years sitting in my basement dry and running out of the basement in fear of a rupture only to have it hold and going on a year now lol.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 milestone for me was keeping an anenome long-term without killing it.
Another was keeping SPS until it was bigger than my fist without killing it.
Third one was keeping a reef tank up long enough to actually afford some of the new reefkeeping expensive gear.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a log for each tank (3). My milstones that i like are. Tank Set Date, First Water Date, First Fish Date. First LPS and SPS dates. Time i was Dino free date! Major accomplishments Major disasters. Do not add anymore fish dates! Do not add anymore corals dates if there is such a thing.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought of another milestone. My wife would say first time he completed a 15% water change on all three tanks without a flood on floor. Mine would be completing the water mixing area complete with 50 foot drain and 50 foot supply pbython lines (and pumps) so i wouldnt spill water. Also incorporating my RO/DI unit into the mixing station so i wouldn't flood the room filling DI jugs and forgetting (big one)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to the hobby I can say my biggest (and first) milestone was being able to mix up new salt without getting knots in my stomach or fear in my heart when pulling out the salt bag. It seemed so intimidating at the time. Now I don't know what the big deal was. LOL

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Successfully curing your first disease-afflicted goby with only careful copper dosing, as no fish meds are available in your country. And then have it glare angrily at you from the hospital tank for the next six weeks.
This is a good one! Especially the infamous goby glare of anger! Haha.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said anything about 1 tank.
IMG_3901-L.jpg

There are a whole lot of personal milestones in this pic as well as reefing ones.

The angels are in the big tank.
Tell me it’s not always this clean! If so I definitely need help...:oops:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back