Favorite reefing topic

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your favorite topic when it comes to reefing? You know what it is. It's the thing that you could talk about for hours with another reefer.

For me, it's anything regarding advances in the hobby. Not so much things like the newest tech, although some new tech is definitely intriguing, but things that we progressively learn. Keeping nitrates and phosphates down at 0 was an accepted reefing practice, but people's tanks weren't doing well because of it. We now know that nitrate and phosphate are necessary for a healthy reef tank.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is all about passion. I spend hours reading articles until my eyes gloss over but I wouldn't call that love.. What I truly love talking about are fish and how the difference between each LFS is night and day and how we are truly blessed to have to good ones and I feel for anyone with one terrible store in their area.

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is all about passion. I spend hours reading articles until my eyes gloss over but I wouldn't call that love.. What I truly love talking about are fish and how the difference between each LFS is night and day and how we are truly blessed to have to good ones and I feel for anyone with one terrible store in their area.
It makes a difference if you have an LFS that makes you want to keep coming back. I'm one of the unfortunate that don't have that luxury. The nearest lfs worth going to is an hour drive into Portland...I'd just rather not drive there. Traffic is always stressful and they close at 6 anyways, so I wouldn't even make it in time after work.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a difference if you have an LFS that makes you want to keep coming back. I'm one of the unfortunate that don't have that luxury. The nearest lfs worth going to is an hour drive into Portland...I'd just rather not drive there. Traffic is always stressful and they close at 6 anyways, so I wouldn't even make it in time after work.
My favorite store is Aquatic Collection in Hayward Ca, but it is a 2 hour drive for me up one of the worst highways in the BA. My sister and uncle live up there so I am by on occasion to celebrate birthdays and the like and that is enough for me to get all I need since fish live for many many years.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less tech, more reading is my passion legit. Learning ways of maintaining it , not on the cheap, but with 'husbandry'...a lot of that happens here. As your post alludes to....Nitrates example, I don't mind them anymore in the correct balance

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your favorite topic when it comes to reefing? You know what it is. It's the thing that you could talk about for hours with another reefer.

For me, it's anything regarding advances in the hobby. Not so much things like the newest tech, although some new tech is definitely intriguing, but things that we progressively learn. Keeping nitrates and phosphates down at 0 was an accepted reefing practice, but people's tanks weren't doing well because of it. We now know that nitrate and phosphate are necessary for a healthy reef tank.
Tank gear

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am
Lucky. I have the largest LFS in Dallas within 10 minutes of me and another marine store another 7 minutes from me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back