Favorite Urchin species?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
608
Reaction score
557
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of different urchins out there, some more well known than others (looking at you tuxedo urchins). What is your favorite species? I really like the Blue Spot urchin, which also goes by fire urchin, red urchin, rainbow urchin but it's scientific name is Astropyga radiata. Their sting is a bit more painful then most urchins but the colors they have are so pretty I think it's worth it to keep them.
 
Tuxedo urchins never seemed to last long for me, even captive bred ones. I hate to love my pincushions. I have 3 in my 330 that have been in 2-3 years. They scrape the rock down to the white. Too bad they have the strength of an ant and carry objects heavier then themselves

This one recently swapped out some GSP for my sinilaria frag 😡
PXL_20260824_184855376.MP.jpg
.
 
Always been a fan of tuxedo urchins!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new