Favorite way to create rock structures

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been debating on whether I should use acrylic rod or the cement stuff to create my rock structures for my new tank. I want a "bonsai" inspired look, but need plenty of overhangs, caves, sleeping areas, etc.

What way has worked best for you?

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the black pond foam to glue some rocks together to make a long overhang. It's extremely strong once it cures. In the FOWLR tank probably a year and a half or so.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling holes in teh rock and using acrylic rods for strength along with some aquascaping epoxy worked well for me in the past

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the guys in my local reef club used the Marco cement and it worked well. Took a while to grow coraline on it compared to the baserock, but was nice and strong

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks swannyson7. I'm still debting on how I want to do it. I have some acrylic bar that I could use, but not to make large overhangs, unless I used two pieces with zip ties.

I'm still browsing forums to get some ideas on what I really like and want to do with this tank.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to support quite a bit of weight with 1/2" acrylic rod along with aquamend. I think you might be surprised how well it holds up considering how much lighter everything is underwater

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to use those fiberglass driveway markers like from menards, lowes, home depot.
they are only like 1-2$ and work great

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to use those fiberglass driveway markers like from menards, lowes, home depot.
they are only like 1-2$ and work great

+1
I got several but haven't started my rock work yet. I am going to make an arch or two with them as well as a pillar. I am also cutting some acrylic sheets to sit on the bottom and attach these scrap acrylic rods I have. I will cut them in approximately 2-3" pieces to keep the rock off the bottom of the tank.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a link for these driveway markers? Are they the things so that you can see the shape of the driveway for plowing snow or the markers that hold reflectors?

jestersix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of a piece I just finished using Emaco 400. (the stuff from Marcorocks).

de394d5a.jpg

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Jestersix! Is this going in your plasma-lit tank?

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a link for these driveway markers? Are they the things so that you can see the shape of the driveway for plowing snow

yes those things. they are usually orange or yellow with some reflective tape on the one end and a point on the other.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bro just used 2 part epoxy for his 2 island rock work. we found specific pieces and pictured how they would look in the tank before taking home the rocks. he only has a 60g though so the pieces are smaller. I dunno how that would hold up with bigger pieces. I'm really excited for his tank. there's lotsa crevices for the wrasses to sleep in and awesome over hangs for corals to grow in. good luck man. should be fun creating your own rock work. :)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to support quite a bit of weight with 1/2" acrylic rod along with aquamend. I think you might be surprised how well it holds up considering how much lighter everything is underwater

Thats true, I didn't think of that. I'll probably be building the structures out of water, and then placing them in the tank as a whole, or rebuilding in their permanent place.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bro just used 2 part epoxy for his 2 island rock work. we found specific pieces and pictured how they would look in the tank before taking home the rocks. he only has a 60g though so the pieces are smaller. I dunno how that would hold up with bigger pieces. I'm really excited for his tank. there's lotsa crevices for the wrasses to sleep in and awesome over hangs for corals to grow in. good luck man. should be fun creating your own rock work. :)

Thanks Marvin. I might just order the cement so I'll have it one hand if I wanna use it, but I'll try that acrylic that I have on hand first I think. Maybe solidify everything with 2 part or the cement.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats true, I didn't think of that. I'll probably be building the structures out of water, and then placing them in the tank as a whole, or rebuilding in their permanent place.

I drilled the pilot holes for the acrylic rod and made sure everything lined up the way I wanted it out of water and then I assembled it in the tank with the Aquamend epoxy to ensure that everything stayed put.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled the pilot holes for the acrylic rod and made sure everything lined up the way I wanted it out of water and then I assembled it in the tank with the Aquamend epoxy to ensure that everything stayed put.

Thanks, I think thats the route I'm gonna take with using rods. The biggest reason I don't wanna use cement is so the structures can be rearranged and stuff if I don't like them.

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a combination of PVC stands, Fiberglass rods (Tap Plastics), & Sakrete Hydralic cement (Home Depot) for my 450 build.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back