OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after making no progress with the bubble algae for a few months I decided to do the flucon treatment. Been reading that a lot of people have been having good results using a higher dosage. After one week I’m seeing good results by one coral. It was starting to get covered up by bubbles but now the rock around it is clear of any bubbles.
IMG_4265.jpeg
The hermits also seem to be starting to eat it as it’s getting weaker as I observed one eating bubbles around this coral.

Once the bubble algae is gone I might look into a pink streak wrasse for the flat worm problem. In my research people say they do good in smaller tanks. Then I’ll finally look into a quarantine. I never had problems with hitch hikers in my old tank so I never felt the need to get one.

Retro Heat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, you've been battling a lot with the tank... Cyano, GHA, bubble. Quick question... You've been doin a lot of water changes. Way more than me (I only do 1.5gal every 2 weeks). Why do you think you have so many issues? Maybe the filtration? Doubt it's the current since you have that big PH.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but as for the cyano. It was bad but quickly went away with larger water changes. I only ever saw a little tiny spot of GHA and it went away after a little. The bryopsis I got from a frag. From the reading I was doing it seems the stuff is almost impossible to kill without chemical help or a proper clean up crew which I cannot fit in the tank. And the bubble algae came in on a frag also. I figured it would run its course and go away. I never had bubble algae in my old tanks and figured it was just another weird thing popping up for a little.

As for filtration its basically just flow. I never remember to clean sponges in the tunze so I took them out. There is rubble rock in there though. It’s just ran for skimming the top and hiding the heater really. I’m going to be getting a tunze ato which also connects to the filter. Also not having a protein skimmer or refugium means the only nutrient export is water changes. Flow is definitely not a problem in the tank. The 2k gyre is running at 70% forward for 8 seconds with ramp up and down. Then ran in reverse at 90% for the same time. I actually had to hide a hammer coral behind a rock because it was not liking the flow at all.
IMG_4270.jpeg

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flucon has been working on the bubble algae but extremely slowly. Started doing water changes again last week because my stylo and slimer has had poor polyp extension. Hoping after awhile they get happy again.
IMG_0028.jpeg

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had gone out and got some hardwood for the stand. My dad has a little wood shop in his garage. So I work on his cars and he builds me a stand. But yesterday my flooring started making a noise. Discovered the refrigerator feed line was leaking. Insurance adjuster said since our flooring is one solid piece throughout the house they might replace the entire floor. So the stand is now put on hold. Also hoping my insurance doesn’t drop me since my vw got totaled a little bit ago. A tree fell on the new car and now the house. At least the other 8 claims on my insurance are not at fault. Still makes me worried though.

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hopefully I’ll be picking up a 120 gallon tank this weekend. It was my uncles reef tank, mostly soft corals, fully grown out and beautiful. Crashed when the ac went out at his house one day. My uncle tried to save it but gave up and went to my brother where he used it for fresh water. Brother moved to a new house and has no room for a tank that big and a 3rd kid on the way so no money either. Still has all the reef equipment and t5 lights. I plan on getting 2 ai hydra 64, maybe use a couple of the t5s.

Excited to give my urchin more room to graze as coraline cannot grow on the rocks as he eats it the second it pops up. Also happy to give my clowns more room and get some other fish in there too. I will also be able to give my torch and hammers a better location. I think the harsh current and lighting keeps them from opening up completely.

Not sure what I’m going to do with the current tank. One idea is set up a soft coral tank in my sons room. The only equipment that will transfer will be the maxspec power head.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hopefully I’ll be picking up a 120 gallon tank this weekend. It was my uncles reef tank, mostly soft corals, fully grown out and beautiful. Crashed when the ac went out at his house one day. My uncle tried to save it but gave up and went to my brother where he used it for fresh water. Brother moved to a new house and has no room for a tank that big and a 3rd kid on the way so no money either. Still has all the reef equipment and t5 lights. I plan on getting 2 ai hydra 64, maybe use a couple of the t5s.

Excited to give my urchin more room to graze as coraline cannot grow on the rocks as he eats it the second it pops up. Also happy to give my clowns more room and get some other fish in there too. I will also be able to give my torch and hammers a better location. I think the harsh current and lighting keeps them from opening up completely.

Not sure what I’m going to do with the current tank. One idea is set up a soft coral tank in my sons room. The only equipment that will transfer will be the maxspec power head.
Wow, now that is a great deal on a tank! Are you going to start a new build thread for the 120?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Best of luck to the new tank!

OP
OP
FDchase

FDchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to start a build thread. First thing to do though is test the tank in the garage just to make sure it’s still good to go. Aquariums always make me nervous about holding water. Then probably modify the facia on the stand a bit to make it better match the furniture in the house.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back