Feather duster? Aiptasia? Both??

Fredds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a pulsing Xenia 2 days ago, dipped it in coralrx, it pretty much shed the whole Xenia :( but I’m just noticing this underneath the coral, not sure what it is? Also, last week sometime found something tiny floating around the water. See pics. Any help IDing both pictures. Thank you

IMG_5952.png IMG_5953.png

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a pulsing Xenia 2 days ago, dipped it in coralrx, it pretty much shed the whole Xenia :( but I’m just noticing this underneath the coral, not sure what it is? Also, last week sometime found something tiny floating around the water. See pics. Any help IDing both pictures. Thank you

IMG_5952.png IMG_5953.png
Both are feather dusters. Good clean up crew. They’re almost as big as they’re going to get.

OP
OP
F

Fredds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if they’re the same one. The first one I found I put back in tank, but lost it immediately lol

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could be one and the same. They’re really hardy and they like to hide themselves, at least at first. It’ll do quite well and most likely you’ll have more over time.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first image clearly shows a tube. The second one is close to the rock so it could be a hydroid in theory. If it’s a hydroid it might multiply at first but within a couple of weeks they should die off.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did a little more research on this topic. I fear your friend might be right… about both. There’s a picture in this thread of one with a tube just like in your first image.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so small I can’t see anything other than the flower looking thing. Which also retracts and hides if I move tweezers near it.
Well, go In the tank and touch it, doesn’t matter if it will go back into the tube, if it’s hard I think that it is a feather duster, if it soft (my hydroids were) then it’s a hydroid. If it isnt hard 100% not a feather duster

OP
OP
F

Fredds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some videos if it helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fredds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, go In the tank and touch it, doesn’t matter if it will go back into the tube, if it’s hard I think that it is a feather duster, if it soft (my hydroids were) then it’s a hydroid. If it isnt hard 100% not a feather duster
I took the frag out and cut the portion of the rock off where I think the thing was? I couldn't see it so I Just chopped away hoping I got it out.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back