Feather dusters or aipstasia? Please help!

kaycam1105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this hairy mushroom coral about a week ago and noticed a few feather duster looking things on it. Except I’m worried they might be aipstasia. There’s about 3 of them from what I can see. I dip all my corals but know feather dusters sometimes survive and aiptasia definitely will survive. They seem to be sensitive and retract from current and close by movement from my clowns. I’ve attached the best pics I could get as well as a video. Please let me know what you guys think so I know how to proceed. TIA! IMG_7218.jpeg IMG_7219.jpeg IMG_7220.jpeg IMG_7221.jpeg IMG_7224.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7227.mov
    48 MB

phillyb614

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters, at least in my experience, come out of a tube. I do not see a tube that these are coming out of. Leads me to believe it may be aptasia. I could be wrong though. Hard to tell from the pics.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with aptasia.
Ime, feather dusters have more feathered tentacles than in the pic i see.

OP
OP
K

kaycam1105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters, at least in my experience, come out of a tube. I do not see a tube that these are coming out of. Leads me to believe it may be aptasia. I could be wrong though. Hard to tell from the pics.
Yeah it’s really hard to tell if there’s tubes or not cause they are so small… I guess I should pull out the frag and try to remove them or use super glue… there’s a video as well not sure if that helps at all.

OP
OP
K

kaycam1105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with aptasia.
Ime, feather dusters have more feathered tentacles than in the pic i see.
Yeah I agree, it’s just odd the “tentacles” are so perfectly shaped more like a feather duster so I’m a little confused.

OP
OP
K

kaycam1105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Aiptasia.
What is the best way to proceed? Should I remove the frag then put it in a container and try to superglue the holes or try to remove them if possible? I had Aiptasia on a frag years ago and was able to get it off with tweezers. Put it in a small bowl of water from the tank and was somehow able to get it. Not sure about these cause they look like they’re hiding in holes/crevices. I wonder if removing the coral from the frag disc would help…. Don’t want to damage the coral though.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a syringe to inject kalk paste onto the aptasia, following it as it retracts.
Turn off flow for 20 minutes.

OP
OP
K

kaycam1105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost certain now that it’s a feather duster. Thanks for everyone’s input

Attachments

• IMG_7254.jpeg
    IMG_7254.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
K

kaycam1105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a feather duster!
Definitely is! I removed the frag and got closer pics. I feel bad cause I destroyed one of them cause all these ppl had me thinking it was aiptasia. Lol I should’ve trusted my instincts. I hadn’t thought anything of it and just thought they were little dusters but wanted to be sure. Now I am :)

Attachments

• IMG_7254.jpeg
    IMG_7254.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 20

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 95 59.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back