Feather Duster Worm Feeding Behavior, Up Close!

AllBirdsAreAweshome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all! I finished putting this little video together today and figured this would be a perfect place to post it. I’m a bit of a feather duster nerd, as I currently have 4 different species in my little tank, and I love to capture footage of them just doing whatever feather dusters do. This time I noticed something really interesting through my macro lens. I could actually see the cilia on the tentacles catching particles, putting them inside the central groove of the tentacle, and the groove carrying the food towards the center of the crown like a little conveyor belt to the mouth! While I knew this was basically how feather dusters feed, I had never actually witnessed it myself until I got this footage. I hope you enjoy this little video as much as I enjoyed capturing it and editing it together!

it’s too large a file to upload directly to here so I will link to it on my Instagram:

JenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all! I finished putting this little video together today and figured this would be a perfect place to post it. I’m a bit of a feather duster nerd, as I currently have 4 different species in my little tank, and I love to capture footage of them just doing whatever feather dusters do. This time I noticed something really interesting through my macro lens. I could actually see the cilia on the tentacles catching particles, putting them inside the central groove of the tentacle, and the groove carrying the food towards the center of the crown like a little conveyor belt to the mouth! While I knew this was basically how feather dusters feed, I had never actually witnessed it myself until I got this footage. I hope you enjoy this little video as much as I enjoyed capturing it and editing it together!

it’s too large a file to upload directly to here so I will link to it on my Instagram:

That was SO awesome! Thanks for sharing! :cool:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back