Feb FMAS Meeting at the Miami Science Museum

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE NOTE THE MEETING LOCATION CHANGE FOR THIS MONTHS MEETING

We will be meeting at the Miami Science Museum (formerly known as the Museum of Science) in Miami, FL.

Place: Miami Science Museum (formerly the Museum of Science) 3280 South Miami Avenue, Miami, FL
Time: 7PM
For more information visit www.fmas1955.org

This month we will be holding a frag drive for the Miami Science Museum.
So frag those corals, mount them and bring them to the meeting. The frags will be maintained by the Museum and grown into colonies for their aquarium at the new Patricia and Philip Frost Museum of Science (scheduled to be completed in 2015).

The Museum will also make the sea lab available to our members before the meeting. So get there early.

Our guest speaker this month will be Skip Uricchio, Senior Curator of Living Collections at the Miami Science Museum. Join us on the 26th of February to see how they built their Pacific Reef Exhibit and the Prototype Lighting Skip is working on.

photo.jpg
DSCF0284.JPG

Skip has been in the public aquarium field for over 27 years. He started at Mystic Marinelife Aquarium as an aquarist and marine mammal keep/trainer. He has also worked as a research diver for the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection’s American lobster research project.

Skip then took a position at the New Jersey Acadamy for Aquatic Sciences where he was part of the start-up and collection team for the New Jersey State Aquarium. During his employment with NJSA, Skip worked on developing successful techniques for catching, transporting and captive care of pelagic fishes and sharks. They were and still are the only team that have kept Blue sharks successfully in captivity. Their techniques and custom made transport equipment are still proprietary information and they will utilize these in their collection of pelagic sharks for the New Museum. While at NJSA Skip's work with dangerous marine animals and the injuries associated with them was published in a medical textbook.

Skip was recruited by SeaWorld Florida to be the Aquarium Supervisor overseeing the shark exhibit, stingray touch exhibit, Tropical reef Building and numerous other permanent exhibits as well as long distance animal transports for the other SeaWorld parks. He assisted in the collection of fish and the startup of the new Discovery Cove Park.

Skip then moved on to take the Director of Husbandry position at the Florida Aquarium in Tampa. He was responsible for the entire husbandry operations including fish, mammals, birds and reptiles. Two new successful exhibits were designed and created in-house during my time there. The extremely unique Penguin interactive program as developed by Skip and is still one of the only “cageless†African black-footed penguin exhibits/interaction in any US zoological institution.

Skip is now the Senior Curator of Living Collections for the current Miami Museum of Science and the new Patricia and Philip Frost Museum of Science which is under construction. As part of the internal design team for the new Museum as well as the senior Curator, Skip is responsible for the exhibit concepts, exhibit designs, life support system design, animal holding facility design, aquaponics exhibits, hydroponics exhibits,equipment prototyping program and institutional collection plan. Skip was responsible for the development and fabrication of the SeaLab exhibits and programs. He also oversee the Batchelor Bird of Prey Rehabilitation Center and its daily operations as well as the planning of its relocation to a new facility when the new museum opens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nivram

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meeting is this Tuesday. Our meetings are open to everyone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back