FedEx Shipping Prices

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are vendors shipping for an average of $40 overnight? FedEx wants to charge me $140 with a FedEx business account for the same size and weight of a package that I paid $35 for overnight shipping. If one is starting out with shipping coral how do you avoid $140 shipping fees? Thanks!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have significant volume a business account directly with fedex/usps is not the cheapest way. Use one of the websites that allow you to print labels at discount.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shipping anything via UPS,Fedex or USPS is outrageous. Even though I expect it, I nearly keel over every time I get the price for shipping a package. It is especially bad to ship across the country. For me being in the east it is crazy the prices they charge to ship to the west coast.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have significant volume a business account directly with fedex/usps is not the cheapest way. Use one of the websites that allow you to print labels at discount.
What websites are you referring to?

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping anything via UPS,Fedex or USPS is outrageous. Even though I expect it, I nearly keel over every time I get the price for shipping a package. It is especially bad to ship across the country. For me being in the east it is crazy the prices they charge to ship to the west coast.

I'm in the east as well. I don't see how paying $140 and collecting $40-$50 from a buyer makes any profit at that point. This is not a main source for us but a way to profit from growing corals that need to be fragged.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are vendors shipping for an average of $40 overnight? FedEx wants to charge me $140 with a FedEx business account for the same size and weight of a package that I paid $35 for overnight shipping. If one is starting out with shipping coral how do you avoid $140 shipping fees? Thanks!

I know this isn't always feasible, but I get around shipping altogether by planning my purchases in advance and then buying in batches that total the minimum spend for free shipping.

This means upfront spend and planning, but spending even 25$ shipping on a 50$ frag is silly. Plus there is all of the packaging waste, etc. Bulk helps minimize the spending and refuse impact.

As for how vendors do this, I imagine it comes down to arrangements. I work in the IT realm and the best way to secure the best pricing is minimum commitments. You can go pay-as-you-go, but you will pay a lot more.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psst... go.finiship.com

I just shipped a 150 lb package today for $115 (not overnight shipping). Most of my packages are around 10 frags or 3-4 pounds and they’re always $30-$45 depending on how far away they’re going and if they’re Saturday delivery. I’ve sent well over 250 packages using this method and its perfect. They go through FedEx and you get a completely legit label and tracking number as well :)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been awhile since i shipped anything, but in the past i used shipyouraquatics and it was i think 30-40% discount off standard fedex rates. There are many others now(never tried any) that supposedly are cheaper. One called pirateship.com i have used and it was great, but i think is only USPS so not good for next day. Think one called shippo

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Psst... go.finiship.com

I just shipped a 150 lb package today for $115 (not overnight shipping). Most of my packages are around 10 frags or 3-4 pounds and they’re always $30-$45 depending on how far away they’re going and if they’re Saturday delivery. I’ve sent well over 250 packages using this method and its perfect. They go through FedEx and you get a completely legit label and tracking number as well :)

That's awesome thank you.

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[email protected] he's got the best rates. Although he does not offer/extend to you FedExs on time guarantees. Which FedEx offers the arrive time guarantees to all customers free of charge for priority overnight shipments (only to verified areas of delivery)so it's my belief that he pockets the money when it's late. So if the package is late its not free.

SYA(shipyouraquatics) has decent rates and offers the arrive time guarantees. So it's just a matter of preference.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
both fedex and ups no longer guarantee their shipments for on time delivery…

fedex is a carte blanche refusal.
ups pretends like they will pay you if the delivery is past noon, but they’re lying because they don’t pay out.

a year and a half into a pandemic and they still use it as an excuse whilst simultaneously recording profits as a company

go figure

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[email protected] he's got the best rates. Although he does not offer/extend to you FedExs on time guarantees. Which FedEx offers the arrive time guarantees to all customers free of charge for priority overnight shipments (only to verified areas of delivery)so it's my belief that he pockets the money when it's late. So if the package is late its not free.

SYA(shipyouraquatics) has decent rates and offers the arrive time guarantees. So it's just a matter of preference.

The on time arrival guarantee is essentially meaningless now. It just means that if they are late they will say "sorry we are busy". No refunds/credits/etc.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back