Feed door sensor to keep my fish secure

christinna77

Tilefish Mom
View Badges
Joined
Apr 18, 2025
Messages
1,160
Reaction score
1,442
Location
Vancouver
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I caught myself accidentally leaving the feed door open a few times before. Since I've got some jumpers (looking at you tilefish), I was trying to figure out how to never forget to close it. Well… I figured it out lol.

I stuck a door sensor on the lid and another on top of the door, then set up an automation to ping my phone if it's open more than 15 minutes.

It's just a proof of concept now (I still need to make it a bit more waterproof), but it works really well so far! :)

PXL_20250724_065204157.MP.jpg



markup_1000025258.png


Screenshot_20250724-001216.png
 
That's quite clever, good job!
 
That's clever! Thanks for sharing!
 
Kinda cool but but i can't help but wonder why not just remove lid, add food and replace the lid. I can't think of any reason to leave it off?
That's what I do, but I legit sometimes forget to put it back :) Trying to take all the precautions to keep my tilefish inside the tank, lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new