Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will say that corals need to be fed for their health and general well being. Others will say that corals get all their nutritional requirements from photosynthesis and fish pee and poop. There are amazing tanks out there on both sides and I want to get everyone’s beliefs, reasonings or experience of why one is better than the other. TIA

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask 100 reefers you'll get 100 answers. My take is that corals have feeding tentacles and mouths for a reason (especially the fleshy LPS corals that I love so much). If you can feed them once or twice a week and not struggle with nutrient problems, then why not do it?

But yes, I think most photosynthetic corals can subsist on nothing more than light, bacteria and nutrients they pull out of the water.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different corals have different requirements for food, very few ( gorgonians for example) digest phytoplankton, yet many reefers feed their SPS with phyto. All corals benefit from source of Nitrogen, but quite often, little scraps from feeding fish or fish poop is enough to satisfy them. Overzealous feeding can in my view lead to more problems then not feeding at all. There is an industry push for reefers to feed corals with various proprietary food, nothing wrong with that, but I am choosing my poison carefully.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back