Feed like a geek...Your reef will LOVE you for it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

A Better Fish Bowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Scott, I here it all the time about people under feeding they're fish and basically starving them thinking this will control the algae.
But there are problems that combined with over feeding will cause major issues.
In my experience, I run into people using Bad top off they got from somewhere else to add or not having a very good R/O DI unit at home to make they're own top off and salt water from.
Even thought your TDS meter might say 0, this is not always true.
Check out this article:
In reality, a TDS meter measures the electrical conductivity of water or, in other words, the total amount of mobile charged ions found in water. If an element is dissolved in water and can conduct electricity, it is called an electrolyte. Salt, for example, is an electrolyte. Sugar, however, is not and will therefore not register on a conductivity or TDS meter. This is one reason why a TDS meter is only an estimate of the true TDS.

When I have people over here and see how much and what kind of food I dump in these tanks, they can't believe it. But they also cant believe how I'm able to keep fish like Morish idols alive and fat. All my fish will even eat New spectrum pellets, infact, MY Naso, Morish Idol, and Blue jaw trigger would rather have pellets then frozen?

Don't Starve your fish people, get to the root of your problem, cause its not the only reason you have algae problem.
Your aquarium is a living eco~system, if your going to keep livestock, keep enough clean up crew too.
I know my fish eat my clean up crew, but thats part of the hobby, so I consider it something they need to survive, so every month, in goes more crabs and snails.
You need lots and lots of crabs and snails, I would suggest one blue leg or even better, mexican red leg crab for every gallon as well as 1 snail for every 2 gallons of your tank size.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't Starve your fish people, get to the root of your problem, cause its not the only reason you have algae problem.
Your aquarium is a living eco~system, if your going to keep livestock, keep enough clean up crew too.
I know my fish eat my clean up crew, but thats part of the hobby, so I consider it something they need to survive, so every month, in goes more crabs and snails.
You need lots and lots of crabs and snails, I would suggest one blue leg or even better, mexican red leg crab for every gallon as well as 1 snail for every 2 gallons of your tank size.

As in most things with this hobby, there are no hard and fast rules for feeding, cleanup crews, etc. Each tank ecosystem is different, so while one tank might benefit from a large cleanup crew, another wouldn't.

For example, one Blue-Leg Hermit Crab is all I need in a 12g. No store-bought snails necessary. The tank has grown it's own cleanup crew over the years consisting of Bristle Worms, Collonista snails and various amphipod/copepod species. They do a fine job of keeping the tank 'clean' and algae is very minimal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautifully stated by all. Overfeeding/improper feeding is but one aspect of potential problems...overall husbandry is very important...Great information/thoughts!

-Scott

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is why I feed in small portions. Fish graze the ocean all day looking for food. I feed accordingly and add liquid vitamin to food every other day. Once food gets away from the fish in a reef system- Time to STOP feeding.

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do exactly what you suggest...thaw frozen cubes in a bowl, dump it in a net, rinse with water, and then dump in tank...phosphates: 0 ppm....it's worth the extra time to have "0" phosphates

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back