Feed nori to urchin and yellow tang?

kmwd1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a red tuxedo urchin for several weeks in a tank that’s 3 months old. Some diatoms have shown up but not much else in the way of algae so I supplement the urchin’s diet with squares of nori. He grabs it and carries it around for a day before it’s all getting eaten. I want to get a yellow tang but I wonder if it’s possible to still feed the urchin nori if there’s a hungry yellow tang eating all the nori in sight. Opinions??

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still feed it. If the tang keeps eating it all before the urchin gets some, try putting some pieces in front of the urchin.

OP
OP
K

kmwd1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still feed it. If the tang keeps eating it all before the urchin gets some, try putting some pieces in front of the urchin.
I do that now for the urchin but it’s pretty slow to get a hold of the nori. It also spends many hours carrying around the nori on its back while it eats it slowly over the course of the entire day. I feel like it would get stolen from him pretty quickly at the pace he eats right now.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do that now for the urchin but it’s pretty slow to get a hold of the nori. It also spends many hours carrying around the nori on its back while it eats it slowly over the course of the entire day. I feel like it would get stolen from him pretty quickly at the pace he eats right now.

I still think it is ok. I have also placed urchins right on top of some nori if the tank is too clean and that seems to work.

mrrealmadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump maybe you can put a rock or two with the urchin to keep it fed and once you get any nuisance algae you can get him back into display.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back