Feedback on a used tank

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello everyone and happy new year,

I wanted to get some feedback on a tank I picked up from a local reefer. There is a decent size chip but does not look like it goes threw the silicone. Got it for a really great price and the dimensions I was looking for (60X30X18H). He had it running for 8 years and just took it down 3 weeks ago. Euro brace with normal black rim base.

Concerns with filling it? Should I put some new silicone over that side?

OP
OP
C

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 33

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof thats a little sketch to be honest, Im not sure I would risk that at all as the glass seems decent in thickness and that crack goes all the way through that glass. I feel like thats a tsunami waiting to happen, I wouldnt fill that in my house :(

OP
OP
C

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oof thats a little sketch to be honest, Im not sure I would risk that at all as the glass seems decent in thickness and that crack goes all the way through that glass. I feel like thats a tsunami waiting to happen, I wouldnt fill that in my house :(
Thats what I was afraid of. I got the tank for $250 which I thought was a great deal. Low iron .. euro braced. Think i could get a new piece cut this one out and replace it?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think these types of chips are not as scary as they seem. However the chip in combination with the condition of the silicone and the tank being moved who knows how many times. I would probably attempt to re seal the entire thing. Not just placing silicone over old. And if you do that you might as well get a new panel. A single pane of glass isn’t that expensive.

OP
OP
C

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I personally think these types of chips are not as scary as they seem. However the chip in combination with the condition of the silicone and the tank being moved who knows how many times. I would probably attempt to re seal the entire thing. Not just placing silicone over old. And if you do that you might as well get a new panel. A single pane of glass isn’t that expensive.
Consulted with my local lfs and they told me to get two pieces and silicone them into the corner after cutting out the old silicone. Pieces would put it would be 2.5 inches wide.
think this is feasible or did I just buy a lemon and need to just part ways with it?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consulted with my local lfs and they told me to get two pieces and silicone them into the corner after cutting out the old silicone. Pieces would put it would be 2.5 inches wide.
think this is feasible or did I just buy a lemon and need to just part ways with it?
I think its a lemon and you should say no… I look at it this way, lose 250 on a lemon or way more than that on a seam burst… maybe sell it for 250 on FB marketplace as a reptile tank or something, that way you could get the money back or some of it back to put towards one you were not nervous about :) thats what I would do!

OP
OP
C

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I think I am going to try and brace it with some pieces of glass on the inside.
It’s a basement tank and if the seam should bust its in an unfinished basement.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chip like that is not likely to lead to a total seam blowout and I don't think it really weakens the overall structural integrity of the tank. Tanks are not built with that small of a design margin. Blow-outs are caused by unsupported bottom panes that flex the glass and put a lot of stress on the entire seam - especially with relatively thin glass. At worst it might start to leak in that area. I think your plan to brace it with an internal piece of glass is good. I would do the same.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back