Feeding a baby tang?

Usefulidiot213

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Location
Surprise, AZ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got myself a Tinny Hippo tang, about 3/4 of an inch.
Had him for about 4 days and he hide in the same corner in the same little pile of rocks. Which is fine, he feels safe in there and nobody bothers him.
My question is feeding him. I have been feeding Nori, formula two pellets & Frozen veggie/shrimp cubes. The hippo is too scared to swim out to the Nori clip, and it seems like the Formula two pellets are too big for his tiny mouth.
should I feed him flakes? or is there some tinny Tang food I should be using..?
I took him for free, but I don't want the little guy to starve to death, and he is looking pretty good otherwise.
 
brine shrimp and mystis shrimp is what i feed mine and try rubber banding the nori or dry seaweed to a small pice of rock so you can get it closer to his hidding spot. good luck! Dan
 
brine shrimp and mystis shrimp is what i feed mine and try rubber banding the nori or dry seaweed to a small pice of rock so you can get it closer to his hidding spot. good luck! Dan

That's a pretty good idea. I will try to get in his little hole.
 
Try frozen cyclopeze... I got mine when it was the size of a dime (TINY), and now its about 2 1/2 inches in only 2.5 months. Mine even started in a biocube and is healthy as can be now. I would take a small amount of water in a small cup and add a couple slices of frozen cyclopeze, add some garlic guard or garlic extreme and pour into the tank. It will flow everywhere so I'm sure if he's willing to eat anything, this would do the trick.
 
Just to add to what has been said above. If you have fishing line sitting around, then tie that to the rock. It will allow you to put the rock in place (and remove it) without your hand spooking the fish. You can also use nylon sewing line.

Good Luck
 
nice

:smile:

Just to add to what has been said above. If you have fishing line sitting around, then tie that to the rock. It will allow you to put the rock in place (and remove it) without your hand spooking the fish. You can also use nylon sewing line.

Good Luck
 
I got myself a Tinny Hippo tang, about 3/4 of an inch.
Had him for about 4 days and he hide in the same corner in the same little pile of rocks. Which is fine, he feels safe in there and nobody bothers him.
My question is feeding him. I have been feeding Nori, formula two pellets & Frozen veggie/shrimp cubes. The hippo is too scared to swim out to the Nori clip, and it seems like the Formula two pellets are too big for his tiny mouth.
should I feed him flakes? or is there some tinny Tang food I should be using..?
I took him for free, but I don't want the little guy to starve to death, and he is looking pretty good otherwise.
To piggy back off of this. About how much should you be feeding? Currently my baby hippo tang is in quarantine and I've been feeding nori (quarter size daily), seaweed extreme pellets (3 daily), and frozen mysis (twice a week ish instead of pellets). Is that enough/too much?
 
I fed mine, brime shrimp & spirulina brime shrimp, mysis shrimp and spirulina mysis, Nori daily, and flakes. I never feed pellets, they just sink and get lost in the sand.
Now that it is around 6 inches, it eats also LRS fish frenzy and PE mysis.
Use a turkey baster, so you can send the food close to him.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new