Feeding acanthophyllia and scoly

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my first acanthophyllia, indophyllia and scoly, and wondering about feeding.

What do you feed them?
I've got freshwater mysis and fauna marin lps medium pellets. One of them spit the pellets out on the first day, so not sure if they don't like those? They all seemed to keep the larger mysis down.

How much?
I'm going to aim for every other day for now, as they're new. They all accepted food, but then stuck their tentacles back out? I'm going to assume they're done for the night? Once I get some 2 liter bottles I'll feed during the day, but for now an hour after lights out they're ready to feast.

The acanthophyllia has just barely started to inflate after 3 days, but the other two ate thee very first day.

Some night camera phone shots.

IMG_20171126_225232.jpg

IMG_20171126_225221.jpg

IMG_20171126_225238.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed meaty food like LRS reef frenzy, mysis shrimp, fish eggs. Once there settled you'll start getting feeding responses during the day when feeding the tank. I use reef nutrition oyster feast and reef roids broadcast through the tank and after about 5 minutes the LPS corals throw out there tentacles and then I feed LRS reef frenzy and Dr. G's fish eggs. They catch a lot of the food but a few times a week I'll make sure I target feed them with a baster. Those are nice corals you got, congrats.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, these are horrible camera phone pics also. The indophyllia is so underrated, I'm not really sure why as it's the most amazing semi transparent white/green. It's like looking at a hologram.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blueberry container makes a great protection barrier! And the acanthophyllia is eating! I have a cynarina and trachyphyllia coming Saturday to complete my very lps collection.
06e1e2a2dc42d165f595a6410ca72787.jpg

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I always have been focused on sps, so when I had a paly outbreak and had to clear out some rock I was so disappointed at losing the sps space. But I'm actually really pleased because I wouldn't have had the space before to get into these, and they're really becoming my favorite pieces in the tank. They're more like pets than sps which are kinda like taking care of plants.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast does everyone's acanthophyllia react to food? My scolymia, indophyllia, Lobo and trachy are like instant grabbers. But I think the acanthophyllia must be weak as it can't expand like the others here when it's trying to eat. It's getting better, but took a week to even react to food, and it takes like 5 minutes to even grab something, so I end up basically holding the shrimp over its tentacles until it can grab them.

Also has anyone's acanthophyllia changed colors? I know the sales pictures can be misleading a tad, but I don't see any blue under white light like the others here.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it time @Ocelaris. Eventually it will develop a natural daytime feeding response. Sometimes our scoly won't have a feeding response for a week but he's been going for years. I believe colors can shift similar to micromussa lordhowensis under different lighting. I agree, sometimes pics can be misleading. My phone can't pick up the bright yellow highlights our trachy has. Typically the blue color on your acanthophyllia will come out better under blue lighting.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's to indicate that they're getting too much food? And I've heard that the food would rot, but what are the symptoms? Like dogs will eat themselves to death, but cats won't... Maybe partially false, but just trying to balance recuperating a weakened acanthophyllia, VS over feeding. I just haven't heard of anyone feeding them to death?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over feeding I believe is more concerned with nutrients in the tank. I have specific days I target feed as a routine so I don't over feed.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast does everyone's large lps react? My scoly, indophyllia, cynarina and Lobo grab on to the mysis pretty quick, but my acanthophyllia is so slow it's nearly impossible to get it to hold onto the food. Eventually I get it to take a bite on a few, but then it's like 10 minutes before it gets to its mouth. The scolymia and indophyllia are easy because they latch on and nothing floats away, but I am just wondering if the acanthophyllia is going to get faster once it settles in and is healthier.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine opens up fast enough when there's food but is very slow to get the food to it's mouth
I have to stand guard over it for 10 mins just to stop the shrimp stealing the food from its mouth

IMG_20171114_152110.jpg

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines getting bigger, i'v also a green one that I got awhile back that was fragged ....didn't know you could intill I saw it in the store
It's now almost fully grown back , when I got it ......it was just a hafe circle lol

IMG_20171204_134013.jpg

IMG_20171204_134005.jpg

IMG_20171204_134218.jpg

IMG_20171204_134213.jpg

IMG_20171204_134201.jpg

IMG_20171204_134144.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back