Feeding advice

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several weeks back I thought that I was bottomed out on nutrients (0 readings for nitrates and phosphates) in my 90 gallon tank so I started to overfeed my two clownfish. In retrospect I now know that I was feeding my GHA problem and they were taking up phosphates as soon as they were becoming available. By overfeeding I mean that I was feeding homemade frozen in the morning (whitefish and shrimp blended with nori) and flakes a few times per day. And I also started using ReefRoids once per week (direct feeding with syringe). I eventually added a sinking mysis based pellet to switch with the flakes every other feeding.

I've stopped the ReefRoid and am only feeding flakes/pellets twice a day. And my frozen every other day.

I now have 0.5 phosphates (as read by Salifert) and 10 nitrates after a 20% water change. I'm going to keep trying to get that phosphate number down... but in the meantime... how do I set up a feeding schedule that won't spike phosphates? Those sinking pellets are a pain because they sink so fast that the clownfish barely have time to get to them before they are down on the bottom. I have a Skunk cleaner shrimp but it never goes to the bottom... and I also have a Reticulated hermit crab that came along with my Gulf liverock but I have no idea what that thing eats. It's so lazy!

I filter with a protein skimmer in a sump. I have a macro fuge and a mangrove fuge but neither of them have started actively growing. My macro is Graciliaria and Caulerpa. The caulerpa was growing too fast in my display so I removed it and put in the fuge but it hasn't started growing yet.

Anyway... how should I manage my feeding to get those Phosphates down? It could be that it was just the ReefRoids and it will balance out now that I've quit using those.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Did you start with dry white rocks? Is the phosphate leaching from the rocks? What was the phosphate reading before you started heavily feeding?

I don't like controlling nutrients by feeding less. High phosphate ( with low nitrate) can be controlled with GFO or with a liquid phosphate remover.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are way overfeeding two clownfish....I would start by using the flake and pellets sparingly and stick to frozen mysis once a day. Stick with that while you monitor water parameters and adjust from there. You might also have to increase (or decrease) your water change amounts/frequency.

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Did you start with dry white rocks? Is the phosphate leaching from the rocks? What was the phosphate reading before you started heavily feeding?

I don't like controlling nutrients by feeding less. High phosphate ( with low nitrate) can be controlled with GFO or with a liquid phosphate remover.
It's 6 months now. I started with rock from a previous tank that I bleach cured for a week. After two months of just sitting with no lights, running sump and ghost feeding I added 15 pounds of Gulf live rock from Tampa Bay.

I do have a bottle of 'Phospho Buster' that someone gave me. For some reason I'm adverse to using all of these packaged products but I can be convinced otherwise!

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are way overfeeding two clownfish....I would start by using the flake and pellets sparingly and stick to frozen mysis once a day. Stick with that while you monitor water parameters and adjust from there. You might also have to increase (or decrease) your water change amounts/frequency.
Okay... by sparingly do you mean in very small amounts daily or every other day? I don't have a local fish store and it's very hard to get frozen food. The closest source is 1.5 hours away so I was hoping to get by with frozen stuff that I make myself. I've recently learned that I should probably soak my grocery store shrimp before using it as it can leach phosphates. The whitefish I use is locally sourced from Lake Superior and has no additives in it.

So would it work to cut back on the flakes/pellets and go back to using my homemade frozen (after soaking the shrimp)??

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... by sparingly do you mean in very small amounts daily or every other day? I don't have a local fish store and it's very hard to get frozen food. The closest source is 1.5 hours away so I was hoping to get by with frozen stuff that I make myself. I've recently learned that I should probably soak my grocery store shrimp before using it as it can leach phosphates. The whitefish I use is locally sourced from Lake Superior and has no additives in it.

So would it work to cut back on the flakes/pellets and go back to using my homemade frozen (after soaking the shrimp)??
Yeah, I would just use it in small amounts every other day or so....in addition to your frozen. I order all of my frozen foods online. If you order a bunch at a time the shipping costs aren't too bad. Unfortunately I don't know anything about making your own foods so I can offer any advice on that.

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would just use it in small amounts every other day or so....in addition to your frozen. I order all of my frozen foods online. If you order a bunch at a time the shipping costs aren't too bad. Unfortunately I don't know anything about making your own foods so I can offer any advice on that.
Who do you order your frozen from?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back