Feeding brittle stars - how often, how much?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a very nice red brittle star from KP Aquatics last week. I chopped up some clam (which I feed to my RBTA) and offered her a piece. She took it happily. Now, when I feed the tank, I see her arm come out of the rockwork and I offer her another piece. Last night I discovered her "stash" of clam meat. I watched her eat the first one but she isn't eating the others. I hope this is a case of I'm over feeding her.

So, how often SHOULD I feed her?

Thanks!

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see mine for 2 years after I put it in. I thought it long dead until one night it wandered out. They are great scavengers but ithe couldn't hurt to give it a little grub once a week

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a brittle & serpent star from KP for 3 years now. They do well picking up scraps that blow under the rocks where they hide out. Once in a while I squirt some flake or pellets their way, but usually only every couple weeks or so.

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to feed mine or he will steal from the anemones. Takes right from their mouths. As long as he gets a piece he is happy. And he knows the split second there is shrimp in the tank. Its about 12 inches across. I have had him for years. He is so big you can usually find him in the rocks.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Thanks all!

Sounds like a typical pet - will beg for food whether they're hungry or not. I'll cut back on the offerings.

rnacario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not feeding mine and it started preying on the snails. I now feed it once a week. They are scavengers, but will become predatory in a clean tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back