Feeding by weight/ratio

skidmarkstevie

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2026
Messages
78
Reaction score
70
Location
San Francisco
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my nutrients are very near where I want them, Ive aquired an ohaus scale with intent to make adjustments in weight/ratio between nitrate/phosphate dominant food sources. I am using mostly reef nutrition line of foods. Is anyone else weighing their food for small tanks? Would love to try some different recipes/ratios.

My tank system is about 40gal.

Pic of my first serving.
.5g tdo pellets
.5g Arcti pods
.4g oyster feast
.2g phyto feast



20260928_173651.jpg
 
I don't base my fishes diet on test results.


I wouldnt say I "base" their diet off test results either, but I think consistency can be good for their environment.

My fish are fat, breeding, healthy etc.
In my ~35 gal system, overfeeding is easy and cause drop in ph, nutrient bottoming, and im just looking to be more consistent, like the sea.

In my head the idea of being able to manipulate ratios & amounts to avoid bottoming nutrients, raising/stabilizing ph [through photosynthesis], and complete consistent nutrition of all tank inhabitants without input of bottled nutrients/aminos is a good thing for everyone involved, and in no way will my fish be underfed or malnourished.
 
Last edited:
If weighing is what it takes for you to effect a stable feeding routine, then go for it....it's a solid idea.

It seems like that shouldn't be a requirement to stable feeding routines in most situations though.
 
Some days I feed too much and some days I don't feed at all so it would be silly for me to weigh anything. 😳

In the sea fish eat small amounts all day and they will continue eating until they can't fit any more food in their mouths if we let them. I don't think it's a scientific measurement. But it's interesting what you are doing and adds another dimension to this hobby.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new