Feeding coral

cameron79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone find it really stressfull trying to feed reef roids to coral with fish chasing you around with the pipet, crabs and shrimp allover the corals stealing food, twice a week i have to go through this ordeal leaving me stressed ive tried bottles over the corals on the floor, the crabs just lift the bottles and tip them over to get to the coral, fish and shrimp follow me around with the pippet pecking at the pippet and anything i try to feed , im like go away youve been fed its not for you.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone find it really stressfull trying to feed reef roids to coral with fish chasing you around with the pipet, crabs and shrimp allover the corals stealing food, twice a week i have to go through this ordeal leaving me stressed ive tried bottles over the corals on the floor, the crabs just lift the bottles and tip them over to get to the coral, fish and shrimp follow me around with the pippet pecking at the pippet and anything i try to feed , im like go away youve been fed its not for you.
Skip a week or two. Everything made the connection to food. Be more random with your feeding coral.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to target feed them? Broadcast feeding may be a good option depending on species.

OP
OP
C

cameron79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try skipping a week or two, they have clearly gotten used to the routine coral feeding, i thought maybe some nori would distract the fish, while i feed the coral but the crabs will still be relentless, can reef roids be broadcast fed or is that silly question, i put phyto in every morning, and also have frozen rotifers and plankton mixed into the fish food so when i feed the fish the smaller coral food gets blown around the tank at the same time for the coral. The only coral that really concerns me for feeding is the two gonioporas, it tends to be the bubble coral and the gonis that get mauled the most oh and the mushrooms but im not too woried about the mushrooms getting plenty of food, the hammer doesnt get mauled and niether does the duncan, besides that its just zoas and mushrooms, the fish take the food from the zoas . Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
C

cameron79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish first then the coral because of turning off the flow to the coral. But then again I only feed coral once a week.
I do the same
I also do this when i feed reef roids, feed the fish then stop all pumps and spot feed the coral, well, try to but the fish are never full enough to leave me to feed the coral the crabs and shrimp are the worst, and i worry about overfeeding the tank as i have high phos as it is, i admit im not very experienced at this but im trying my best to balance everything... It gets frustrating at times.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try skipping a week or two, they have clearly gotten used to the routine coral feeding, i thought maybe some nori would distract the fish, while i feed the coral but the crabs will still be relentless, can reef roids be broadcast fed or is that silly question, i put phyto in every morning, and also have frozen rotifers and plankton mixed into the fish food so when i feed the fish the smaller coral food gets blown around the tank at the same time for the coral. The only coral that really concerns me for feeding is the two gonioporas, it tends to be the bubble coral and the gonis that get mauled the most oh and the mushrooms but im not too woried about the mushrooms getting plenty of food, the hammer doesnt get mauled and niether does the duncan, besides that its just zoas and mushrooms, the fish take the food from the zoas . Thanks for the reply.
Many of us broadcast feed RR - I do for gonis in particular

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do this when i feed reef roids, feed the fish then stop all pumps and spot feed the coral, well, try to but the fish are never full enough to leave me to feed the coral the crabs and shrimp are the worst, and i worry about overfeeding the tank as i have high phos as it is, i admit im not very experienced at this but im trying my best to balance everything... It gets frustrating at times.
I usually feed oyster feast after I feed them mysis. I spot feed so the fish usually dont go nuts

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You obviously have not tried a pipette of reefroids. It’s delicious and worth fighting over.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back