Feeding Corals - Day or Night, does it matter?

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what type of coral honestly.

Anemones(not really coral but for sake of discussion) for example are best fed at day.

Sps noticeably have feeder tentacles out at night.

Zoas & palys (don't necessarily need to be fed) may only be open in the daytime.

Lps don't seem to care in my experience, if you feed them at day they send feeders out as soon as food hits the water, or at nighttime they already have them extended.

If you plan on broadcast feeding things like baby brine or "coral food" night time may hit more than daytime.

Target feeding really shouldn't matter.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals more actively feed at night, however many will put out feeding tentacles when they sense food in the water, so can be fed at these times.

OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding amino should be done during the day as it enhances photosynthesis

From http://successfulreefkeeping.com/learn/about-corals/what-corals-eat/

DISSOLVED ORGANIC MATTER (DOM)
Dissolved organic matter contains various elements: Dissolved organic nitrogen, DON, which includes amino acids and urea and dissolved organic carbon, DOC, which includes carbohydrates. All of these molecules are taken up by corals. Observation on natural coral reefs show the coral’s urea uptake is much greater than nitrate, a possible adaptation to the urea producing fish found on the reef.. Scientists also found that urea and amino acids are more actively taken up during the day and may be integral to building the organic matrix that aids the formation of aragonite crystals, increasing the density and strength of the coral skeleton. Other evidence of uptake is observed in reef and marine tanks with noticed polyp expansion after feeding plankton or plankton supplements containing dissolved organics.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience it doesn't really matter especially with lps. I feed during the day because that is when I am messing with my tank. I will say the one coral that I have noticed that prefers to feed at night is my trumpet coral, it is rare that it will extend feeding tentacles during the day even when food has been in the tank for a while.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good discussion here. I've often wondered myself what time is best when feeding corals. I know there are corals like scoly and open brain corals that feed at night. Many euphyllia corals seem to close polyps at night. I usually feed in the day but now I'm thinking about trying some night feeding. Perhaps right before lights go out.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good discussion here. I've often wondered myself what time is best when feeding corals. I know there are corals like scoly and open brain corals that feed at night. Many euphyllia corals seem to close polyps at night. I usually feed in the day but now I'm thinking about trying some night feeding. Perhaps right before lights go out.
I can't keep scoly's happy anymore because my flow is too high now. When I kept them I used to suck up "Reef Energy" A/B in a syringe and shut off all the pumps. Then I'd hover over the scoly's and just shoot out a little of the "Reef Energy" and wait for the scoly's to start to open up. Them I'd juice up their mouths really good and they loved it.
My fish and CUC would go nuts because (lol) they could smell it but they could not steal it away from the scoly's.
When the scoly's were full and closed their mouths then I'd fire back up all the pumps and let the remaining "Reef Energy" feed the other corals.

So Yes... There is away to spot feed corals with "Reef Energy". :)

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't keep scoly's happy anymore because my flow is too high now. When I kept them I used to suck up "Reef Energy" A/B in a syringe and shut off all the pumps. Then I'd hover over the scoly's and just shoot out a little of the "Reef Energy" and wait for the scoly's to start to open up. Them I'd juice up their mouths really good and they loved it.
My fish and CUC would go nuts because (lol) they could smell it but they could not steal it away from the scoly's.
When the scoly's were full and closed their mouths then I'd fire back up all the pumps and let the remaining "Reef Energy" feed the other corals.

So Yes... There is away to spot feed corals with "Reef Energy". :)
You are right about the cuc. The shrimp I have come out of nowhere when I feed my scoly and try to eat the reef energy. I have to use the feeder to keep it back.

nagromkcir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my corals about an hour before lights out with "Reef Energy" and switch the skimmer off for about two hours.

I'm a 20 minute guy. Have you found that two hours reduces decomposition and
Lower nitrates?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a 20 minute guy. Have you found that two hours reduces decomposition and
Lower nitrates?
I handle my nitrates with a outside of the box method.
Weather I let the Reef energy stay in for 30 min / two hours / or overnight before I turn the skimmer back on/ Over the long haul my nitrates always come in at about 4ppm - 5ppm with the Salifert nitrate kit.

nagromkcir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on your out of box method? I have read most of your tank setup post but my memory is short.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back