Feeding Corals - Day or Night, does it matter?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on your out of box method? I have read most of your tank setup post but my memory is short.
I handle my nitrates with a reasonable fish bio-load / 18% weekly water changes/ and run a Purigen reactor that works with my skimmer to remove a lot of the organics before they hit they nitrogen cycle and let the live rock do the rest.

Run a GFO reactor that holds the phosphates.

Have not needed to carbon dose for over a year.

nagromkcir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I handle my nitrates with a reasonable fish bio-load / 18% weekly water changes/ and run a Purigen reactor that works with my skimmer to remove a lot of the organics before they hit they nitrogen cycle and let the live rock do the rest.

Run a GFO reactor that holds the phosphates.

Have not needed to carbon dose for over a year.

What are your thought on daily water changes vs traditional?

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my coral eats when ever I put frozen food in my tank. Day or night. They seem to smell it and start to extend their tentacles. Everything else could care less what I put in my tank. I do tend to add zooplankton, and marine snow at night.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thought on daily water changes vs traditional?
To be honest I'm old school so I've only done traditional.
I know that Randy (R H-F) used to preform 1% daily water changes with an auto water changer for many years while his reef was still up and running.

Many other reefers had gone down the road with daily water changes but I've never tried it to say one way is better than the other over the long haul.

Many ways to skin a cat. :)

No one best way and we all find our own way. Every reef is different and what works for one may not work for another.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my coral eats when ever I put frozen food in my tank. Day or night. They seem to smell it and start to extend their tentacles. Everything else could care less what I put in my tank. I do tend to add zooplankton, and marine snow at night.
+1
On the days that I feed the fish LRS "Reef Frenzy" I feel like it feeds the corals too and I do not dose "Reef Energy" on those days. :)

Nomie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i feed them during the day. watching my corals eat its just eye candy and there is nothing like it. even my sps corals (montis) eat and grab food during the day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back