Feeding Dwarf Golden Angel

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I have a question about my dwarf golden angel, he shows no interest in food but he seems to be poking at the rock work, glass and anything in the tank except for the corals and food. I usually try small mysis, brine shrimp, and an angel formula called
Pygmy Angel Formula - Frozen Foods. The food is soaked in selcon and garlic but still shows no interest. I have a bunch of pods in the tank. The tank is about 5 months going for 6 it’s an 60 gallon tank. A lot of rock work. Any other ideas on what I can feed him? Any one had experience with a finicky angel? Thanks !

IMG_0703.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the general recommendations that I've heard to get fish feeding include using live worms (like blackworms, white worms, etc.), offering fresh clams/clams on half shell, and using live brine shrimp - I don't know if these would help you here or not, but they may be worth a shot.

It may also be worth checking the fish for any signs/symptoms of illness.

OP
OP
tech_reefer

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean he pecks at things in the tank I’m sure he eats pods but that’s not enough to get him fat. I haven’t tried brine shrimp or works. Can you point me into the right direction when it comes to purchasing worms online?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you point me into the right direction when it comes to purchasing worms online?
For online (I've never tried these sites myself, so try at your own risk, but I have heard they're legitimate):

Blackworms -
White worms -
Grindal worms can be found too, but I don't know any reportedly reputable places to get them from; microworms can be found from a few different reputable places, but they'd be too small for this purpose.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of these in QT at the same time as my Regal angel. He didnt want to eat anything either. I put clams in for my regal and he watched her go nuts for them and tried them. After that started going on frozen food about the same time the regal did. Not sure if the clam was what did it but I was surprised that he liked clams! My french juv angel was also like that but again when adding clams for the regal he goes nuts over them too. Might be worth a try!

OP
OP
tech_reefer

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For online (I've never tried these sites myself, so try at your own risk, but I have heard they're legitimate):

Blackworms -
White worms -
Grindal worms can be found too, but I don't know any reportedly reputable places to get them from; microworms can be found from a few different reputable places, but they'd be too small for this purpose.
I’m give this a try thanks for the feedback

OP
OP
tech_reefer

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one of these in QT at the same time as my Regal angel. He didnt want to eat anything either. I put clams in for my regal and he watched her go nuts for them and tried them. After that started going on frozen food about the same time the regal did. Not sure if the clam was what did it but I was surprised that he liked clams! My french juv angel was also like that but again when adding clams for the regal he goes nuts over them too. Might be worth a try!
What kind of clams did you use?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone posted that one of their fish was going crazy for Nori. Since it's picking at rocks you might give vegetables a try?

I have used fresh clams from the store, and I pick up clams from the beach and crack them open and feed my fish the meat. I know Paul B and others just crack open the shell and drop in half and let the fish pick at it. In a QT I would probably scrape out most of the clam flesh, but leave some in/on the shell and put it in the tank and let the fish pick at it. "Whole clam, guts and all" to quote @Paul B.

My fish also pick at pelleted food made to feed corals...

OP
OP
tech_reefer

tech_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good news I found this product called AngeLixir from Brightwell Aquatic I soaked food in the liquid and I saw him going after it thank you all for jumping in!!! I still need to get the clams and live food to try

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back