Feeding fish

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Brandonsegula, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula Well-Known Member

I’ve been feeding my fish 2 times a day. All levels are good with no problems. I was thinking of switching to just once a day. Do fish have a hard time adjusting to this?

Tags:

2. sfin52

sfin52 Well-Known Member

I feed my fish once a day. Sometimes I’ve skipped a day if I work late. When I work late it’s till lights out on the tank and I don’t want to wake up the fish. I don’t want to wait for them to wake up and eat and to disturb the sleep cycle.

3. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Depends on the fish ... most do, some won't, so much.

Anthias and dragonets are two examples of fish evolved to take tiny meals all day long. (Some anthias, such as lyretails, can get by on one feeding ... they'd just prefer not to. Wouldn't try that with a ventralis or purple queen.)

~Bruce

rockstarta78 and eatbreakfast like this.
  4. Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula Well-Known Member

I don’t have any of those. Just a tang some clowns and wrasses. Just confused why I’m getting a little bit of hair algae if my phosophates are reason 0.0-0.002

5. BlueMoods

BlueMoods Member

I feed three times per day plus algae sheets for my grazers to have as they want 2-3 times per week and, nem food 2 times per week. Really depends on what you have in the tank. Tangs are grazers so, if once a day, provide algae sheets or nori for them to graze on. Wrasse are fine once per day but, prefer two or three smaller meals. Clowns like to nibble off and on all day, browsers more than grazers so, again more small feedings suits them better.

The algae may be due to lights being on too long white 8 hrs and moonlight (blue) up to 12 hours per day would help that, as would carbon dosing (I prefer vodka) but, if you don't dose now, build the amount you dose slowly, a couple of drops more every 3 days to get to what the tank needs.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  6. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Tangs really need to eat all day to be happy and healthy. An algae clip is how you accomplish this. Feed enough Nori that there is enough for the fish to be able to graze for 2/3-3/4 the day. Ensure it’s gone by the time the lights go out.

Other fish will chow on Nori, believe it or not! My cleaner wrasse, for instance, loves the stuff!

eatbreakfast and Maritimer like this.
  7. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Very few fish in my tank _don't_ take the occasional pop at the nori. Watchman gobies and target mandarin, maybe . . .

~Bruce

sfin52 likes this.
  8. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I had a watchman once that ate from the clip!

Maritimer and sfin52 like this.
  9. Maritimer

I think that the only reason mine don't is that I generally hang it in the water column, and it's just farther from home than they'd rather venture.

~Bruce

Brandonsegula and sfin52 like this.
  10. Faisal27

Faisal27 Well-Known Member

I put two clips of Nori with 3 sheets each twice a day for my tangs .. then once a day or once every other day meaty pellets or frozen brine for them and some of the other fish .. all my fish around 18 of them eat from the clip only is my new bluethroat trigger who’s eating the pods I grow in the sump

Maritimer likes this.
  11. Arthur Jen

Arthur Jen Active Member

This is how I feed mines:

1.Flake food morning
    2.Nori Algae clip
    3.Frozen Brine/mysis
    4.Flake food

Not at the same time, I feed them like these during the day, doing great!

Maritimer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted