Feeding fish

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a royal gramma recently. I’m feeding pellets to it right now. I have a decent amount of flow in my tank and so the pellets sink quickly. Will the fish find the food when it sinks or should I turn off all flow when feeding? Any tips would help

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the species. I believe grammas are open-water feeders, meaning they'll only pluck food out of the water column and won't pick it up from a surface once it lands there, but I could be wrong; it's been a few years since my last gramma. That's one of the challenges when feeding with pellets and why most packages will tell you to feed "as much as your fish will consume in two minutes."

Typically when I've fed pellets, I'll introduce a little to the tank and watch the fish as they eat. Once they've eaten most of what's in there, I'll add some more, until I determine that feeding time is done. Don't get in the habit of just tossing food in and leaving until you have a better feel for how your fish feed and what their habits and needs are.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma doesn’t touch pellets. And never takes food off ground or surface. Devours reef frenzy frozen food.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the fish find the food when it sinks or should I turn off all flow when feeding? Any tips would help

I believe the fish breeded now-a-days order their food thru DoorDash buying from BRS.... so yeah, they won't be able to find sunken pellets

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a problem. He will bite the food and spit it out. Should I get reef frenzy?
I would. Its fantastic food. My gramma does the exact same thing. It spits out pellets and has been doing so for 5 years! But it absolutely loves reef frenzy.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had the fish for 5 days but he is accustomed to his tank and has tried eating it but I have also heard that some don’t eat for a week. He is biting some things he thinks will be food in the water column and spiting them out. Im just unsure. Im planning to go to the LFS to get frozen food

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back