Feeding fish

Fishing in the dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always over think stuff but need opinons on feeding I feed frozen mysis. I have 2 clown fish, 2 pj cardinals, 3 sapphire damsels. 1 purple fire fish. and 1 diamond goby (which I hand feed cause they rest eat everything in under a minute. I have been feeding 1/2 cube in morning and 1/2 cube in evening. They seem find but I have only been in the hobby for nearly a year and hope I am doing it right.

OP
OP
Fishing in the dark

Fishing in the dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always over think stuff but need opinons on feeding I feed frozen mysis. I have 2 clown fish, 2 pj cardinals, 3 sapphire damsels. 1 purple fire fish. and 1 diamond goby (which I hand feed cause they rest eat everything in under a minute. I have been feeding 1/2 cube in morning and 1/2 cube in evening. They seem find but I have only been in the hobby for nearly a year and hope I am doing it right.
Do you feed them vitamins.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm the wrong one to ask about amounts, because I feed heavily. That being said, consider mixing in some supplements such as Selcon and garlic. Additionally, your specimens will likely appreciate a variety of food offerings, too.

OP
OP
Fishing in the dark

Fishing in the dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the wrong one to ask about amounts, because I feed heavily. That being said, consider mixing in some supplements such as Selcon and garlic. Additionally, your specimens will likely appreciate a variety of food offerings, too.
I have tried flakes and pellets but they don't seem to eat it do you have any other food that would be good and I have been reading up on Selcon will purchase it tomorrow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You will want to add to this diet. While mysis is acceptable by all, it also can produce excess mucus internally and cause what looks like white stringy poop effect. Add as they cannot thrive on mysis alone. . . LRS fish frenzy, brine shrimp, chopped krill, small plankton and even formula one frozen.
Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally for overall stamina

OP
OP
Fishing in the dark

Fishing in the dark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to add to this diet. While mysis is acceptable by all, it also can produce excess mucus internally and cause what looks like white stringy poop effect. Add as they cannot thrive on mysis alone. . . LRS fish frenzy, brine shrimp, chopped krill, small plankton and even formula one frozen.
Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally for overall stamina

thank you so much big help.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have tried flakes and pellets but they don't seem to eat it do you have any other food that would be good and I have been reading up on Selcon will purchase it tomorrow.
Masstick is universally loved by all of my specimens, even the picky eaters. offer a variety of frozen and essentially have an entire shelf in my freezer devoted to fish food.

jpgillespie2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns, 1 yellow watchman goby and a purple fire goby. I feed a pinch or 2 of flake food or NLS pellets every 2 days or so. I took the Jake Adams approach to holiday feeding frozen food. They have an endless supply of amphipods and copepods if they need more food. They stay healthy. If I am doing a water change, I might feed them extra a couple of days before. I don't run a protein skimmer and my nitrates never get above 5. I actually have started dosing nitrates for this reason.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have 2 clowns, 1 yellow watchman goby and a purple fire goby. I feed a pinch or 2 of flake food or NLS pellets every 2 days or so. I took the Jake Adams approach to holiday feeding frozen food. They have an endless supply of amphipods and copepods if they need more food. They stay healthy. If I am doing a water change, I might feed them extra a couple of days before. I don't run a protein skimmer and my nitrates never get above 5. I actually have started dosing nitrates for this reason.
Massticks is an Omnivore diet and not accepted by all fish. It would be a good addition and be aware that is a food you rehydrate into a gel and stick to glass- Not your typical dispersible food. We again want to offer what they get in the wild- A Variety , not just one staple.

Last edited:

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Massticks is an Omnivore diet and not accepted by all fish. It would be a good addition and be aware that is a food you rehydrate into a gel and stick to glass- Not your typical dispersible food.
...or, if you're lazy like me, you can purchase the premixed variety:

Attachments

• 20230213_204007.jpg
    20230213_204007.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 24

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back