Feeding frag tank without fish

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently tied a frag tank into my main display's sump and am curious what people are doing to make sure the coral in their frag tanks are fed. I don't plan on putting any fish in the tank, and I run filter socks so the water going to the frag tank would have minimal fish poo in it, if any. I feed my display 1-2X a week with reef roids, but of course those coral also have access to fish poo and small pieces of uneaten fish food daily. How often should I be feeding my frag tank? And is a premade powdered coral food enough?

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose reef energy A/B in my frag tank if its fishless, and I target feed all frags and mouths 2x times a week w/ reef roids .

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I am currently dosing aminos, but a different brand. Think I'll dose a portion directly into the frag tank to make sure they get their fair share rather than waiting for it to circulate through the rest of the system. I'm currently planning on feeding the frags twice a week, but may adjust to more if it seems like they need it.

Rockymountainreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal frag tank. I dose aminos (reef plus) and trace elements (reef trace) twice a week and I also dose nitrate and occasionally some po4 (I have a very low nutrient system) if you have some detectable nutrients and and trace elements and feed aminos that should keep them happy IMO

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal frag tank. I dose aminos (reef plus) and trace elements (reef trace) twice a week and I also dose nitrate and occasionally some po4 (I have a very low nutrient system) if you have some detectable nutrients and and trace elements and feed aminos that should keep them happy IMO
Thank you! I've been doing something similar, dosing aminos and trace elements about once a week as well as dosing nitrate to maintain around 5ppm. I also feed some reef roids to the frag tank every week or two. I have strong lighting on the frag tank and all of the frags seem to be very happy and growing well. No fish or clean up crew in the frag tank, but doesn't seem to matter as far as coral health. There must be enough nutrients in the water, or tiny stuff getting past the filter socks to keep them happy.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back