Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Hach version you thinking of?
You only need two if it's freshwater.
One version, Hach hides some reagents in the cap.

What does seawater need? Citrate?

Hach ammonia salicylate
sodium salicylate54-21-740-50%
sodium nitroferricynade14402-89-2<1%
m-nitrophenol554-84-7<0.5%
sodium citrate68-04-240-50%
sodium tartrate868-18-810-20%
Hach ammonia cyanurate
lithium hydroxide, anhydrous1310-65-21-5%
sodium dichloroisocyanurate2893-78-91-3%
sodium citrate68-04-280-90%
sodium tartrate868-18-85-15%

Hanna HI784:

"A" (liquid)
sodium hydroxide1310-73-22-5%
"B" (powder)
not disclosed
"C" (powder)
sodium salicylate54-21-750-100%
triclosene sodium dihydrate51580-86-01-2.5%
sodium nitroprusside dihydrate13755-38-91-3.5%

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does seawater need? Citrate?
right. citrate or other chelator to suppress the precipitation. The hanna B packet is that chelator.
There's also a chlorine / hypochlorite in there somewhere as the salycilate reaction needs it. Don't know if it's a tiny undeclared amount, or if one of the hach chemicals produces it during the reaction.
The chlorine/hypochlorite often goes in along with the high pH additive in several kits - Red Sea, API etc.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha

Old thread but I have done some analysis of my tank (soon 8 years old) with active denitrification in a reversed flow DSB. I have use Hanna Marine Master and the new ammonia version with powder. I was not very surprised of the measurements (see graph for march) because I know that I have a lot of bacterial (Heterotrophs) breakdown of organic matter

1715611709665.png
In April/May I have done 3 measurements with the same reagent - they show 0.15, 0.17 and 0.21.

A couple od days ago I got another batch of test reagents (I have wait for it) and after reading this thread I decide that I should do a test on a saltwater sample that´s not supposed to contain any NH3/NH4. I use OCEAMO corrector as my bulk saltwater. Its a liquid salt blend with controlled contain of different components. The zero test shows 0.06 ppm NH3/NH4 and this will be my method artefact that I will withdraw from my readings of my DT´s water using this batch of reagents. I did a test on my DT´s water and it was 0.05 ppm NH3/NH4. Because the accuracy is ± 0.05 ppm - the two tests show basically the same result.

Because I suspect that my water below my DSB contain a lot of NH3/NH4 - I will do a test of this water later on.

IMO - the Hanna NH3/NH4 test is good enough to use in reefing - especially with the new reagents.

Sincerely Lasse

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha

Old thread but I have done some analysis of my tank (soon 8 years old) with active denitrification in a reversed flow DSB. I have use Hanna Marine Master and the new ammonia version with powder. I was not very surprised of the measurements (see graph for march) because I know that I have a lot of bacterial (Heterotrophs) breakdown of organic matter

1715611709665.png
In April/May I have done 3 measurements with the same reagent - they show 0.15, 0.17 and 0.21.

A couple od days ago I got another batch of test reagents (I have wait for it) and after reading this thread I decide that I should do a test on a saltwater sample that´s not supposed to contain any NH3/NH4. I use OCEAMO corrector as my bulk saltwater. Its a liquid salt blend with controlled contain of different components. The zero test shows 0.06 ppm NH3/NH4 and this will be my method artefact that I will withdraw from my readings of my DT´s water using this batch of reagents. I did a test on my DT´s water and it was 0.05 ppm NH3/NH4. Because the accuracy is ± 0.05 ppm - the two tests show basically the same result.

Because I suspect that my water below my DSB contain a lot of NH3/NH4 - I will do a test of this water later on.

IMO - the Hanna NH3/NH4 test is good enough to use in reefing - especially with the new reagents.

Sincerely Lasse
When I carefully remove pore water from my 3 cm sand bed with a device to minimize infiltration of surface water into the collection tube I also measure ammonia in this range. This pore water also has elevated phosphate and lower oxygen. I would love to perform this measurement in aquaria suffering dinoflagellate and cyanobacteria blooms on the sand.

Your zero point is in the range we found for the modified API ammonia test. It is likely caused by the catalyst used in the test which turns yellow. We could probably decrease the zero point in the Hanna test by decreasing the reagent charge, but that would require a recalibration of the Checker. Also, the upper range would likely fall below 2.5 ppm

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Dan's chart, his seneye reading 0.037 could correlate to somewhere around ~0.13ppm actual free ammonia.
Do you mean that seneye shows a measurement that is only 28% of the real value. If this is true - IMO - seneye would be worthless in order to decide if a water is toxic or not. This means that if you have pH 8.1 (as an example) and your seneye shows 0.14 (this level is not acute toxic but you should stay alert) i reality is around 0.51 and this concentration is direct and acute toxic.

I did some analyses below my DSB today - please see here. I publish them in my own thread because this is dynamite and some supermans kryptonite.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean that seneye shows a measurement that is only 28% of the real value. If this is true - IMO - seneye would be worthless in order to decide if a water is toxic or not.
Yep.
Well I wouldn't say it's worthless - it's super useful. But I certainly would want to calibrate it against a few known ammonia and pH values before deciding what the raw seneye reading actually meant.
Dan's data tells me this sort of calibration really is necessary.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wouldn't say it's worthless - it's super useful. But I certainly would want to calibrate it against a few known ammonia and pH values before deciding what the raw seneye reading actually meant.
Dan's data tells me this sort of calibration really is necessary.
I still will say its worthless for most users that´s not have a degree in inorganic chemistry in its pocket. Some people here talk about it as holly grail for people when they start their aquariums and if seneye show low figures - just in with fish. Dan´s data says that if you do not calibrate it - you can´t trust it

Much easier with Hanna Marine Master or the marin total ammonia checker, pH, temp salinity and this calculator or a method that guarantees that the start will not create any high NH3 concentration (my fifteen steps or simulare method dosing very, very. very low amounts of ammonium chloride - lesser than 0.02 mg/L NH3/NH4 with the same frequency -1 week every third day, second week every second day and third week - every day. Adding nitrification bacteria in one or another way is also needed. In this start you can also use Hanna in order to control that the total ammonia does not build up.

Sincerely Lasse

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s another false statement Lasse. You’re good at those. Try running a search when I mentioned seneye and see how many years I’ve been saying to calibrate them on a running tank first before making proofs. In private messages Dan and I and Taricha talked about calibration every time, it goes back years on file.

I said the opposite about just dumping in fish on a low reading, I mentioned calibration every time.

When you try and slip a falsehood among good science that needs to be called out, the rest of what you typed read pretty well though.

Here’s from 2020, I think we started talking about calibrating them in ‘18 or ‘19 as the searches show.

BED331AB-61F5-4F39-8EB3-EDDCFE88E64D.png

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s another false statement Lasse. You’re good at those. Try running a search when I mentioned seneye and see how many years I’ve been saying to calibrate them on a running tank first before making proofs. In private messages Dan and I and Taricha talked about calibration every time, it goes back years on file.

I said the opposite about just dumping in fish on a low reading, I mentioned calibration every time.

When you try and slip a falsehood among good science that needs to be called out, the rest of what you typed read pretty well though.
Can you point out where Lasse is making falsehoods?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second sentence post #107

Who was he referring to? I’ve sold it as a grail before and he and I are always debating it’s utility in threads. if he means someone else based on a litany of posts on file then that’s news to me.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second sentence post #107

Who was he referring to? I’ve sold it as a grail before and he and I are always debating it’s utility in threads. if he means someone else based on a litany of posts on file then that’s news to me.
Ok. From my reading of your threads, you get seneye users to fiddle the figures down to 0.001 or 0.002. in my mind this makes the seneye useless for it's intended purpose of indicating a dangerous ammonia condition, therefore risking livestock.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone feels hit

Dan´s calibration is one thing - its clear in his article that the seneye show too small figures (around 28% of the real value) - but to adverse other peoples to write down a reading that shown some NH3 to 0.001 - 0.002 only based on the fact the mature reefs have shown to have a reading of 0.04 and some people says it is impossible that a mature reef can have this - is a total other thing. If you use Dan´s calibration curve - a seneye reading of 0.04 is i reality 0.14 if seneye´s pH reading are right. At 0.14 mg/L NH3 - things start to be nasty. If someone advise that 0.04 should be read as 0.001 - 0.002 - Huston - we have a problem......

Sincerely Lasse

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone feels hit

Dan´s calibration is one thing - its clear in his article that the seneye show too small figures (around 28% of the real value) - but to adverse other peoples to write down a reading that shown some NH3 to 0.001 - 0.002 only based on the fact the mature reefs have shown to have a reading of 0.04 and some people says it is impossible that a mature reef can have this - is a total other thing. If you use Dan´s calibration curve - a seneye reading of 0.04 is i reality 0.14 if seneye´s pH reading are right. At 0.14 mg/L NH3 - things start to be nasty. If someone advise that 0.04 should be read as 0.001 - 0.002 - Huston - we have a problem......

Sincerely Lasse
In any case - shouldn't a 'scientific instrument' be designed to give the correct number - i.e. automatically do whatever needs to be done in the softwear/design? If it's as "easy" to use the seneye as people say - why wouldn't they build this calibration step into the device itself? hmmmm

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back