Feeding harlequin shrimp

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb idea but I would think allowing the legs to regenerate would take too long to make that a viable option. Could you start a small tank, say 10 gallons with just live rock and algae, throw a handful of asterinas in there, let them multiply for a few weeks and then just feed the shrimp five a day or so? You could even take five, cut them in half, feed one half and throw the other back in the asterina tank. I would think it would take months to go through all the starfish. My last tank was riddled with those things and I would take out 50 a week and never made a dent.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asternias are more of a snack and dont contain many of the tube feet that they eat.
I tried having 5 stars and just cutting legs but they didnt regenerate fast enough to make it plausible.

Sven57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine to clear out hundeds of asterinas in my 120. Most are gone and I just fed it a chocolate chip star. Good size star and it took a week to eat it.
20220304_161108.jpg
20211213_164410.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back