Feeding harlequin shrimp

This might be a dumb idea but I would think allowing the legs to regenerate would take too long to make that a viable option. Could you start a small tank, say 10 gallons with just live rock and algae, throw a handful of asterinas in there, let them multiply for a few weeks and then just feed the shrimp five a day or so? You could even take five, cut them in half, feed one half and throw the other back in the asterina tank. I would think it would take months to go through all the starfish. My last tank was riddled with those things and I would take out 50 a week and never made a dent.
 
Asternias are more of a snack and dont contain many of the tube feet that they eat.
I tried having 5 stars and just cutting legs but they didnt regenerate fast enough to make it plausible.
 
I got mine to clear out hundeds of asterinas in my 120. Most are gone and I just fed it a chocolate chip star. Good size star and it took a week to eat it.
20220304_161108.jpg
20211213_164410.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new