Feeding pistol shrimp?

HermanoToro

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2022
Messages
27
Reaction score
8
Location
Seattle
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

After doing some research, I scored a yasha goby and candy cane pistol shrimp from my LFS the other day. I have read claims that, after pairing, the goby will "feed" the shrimp but has anyone actually seen this behavior taking place? I am a little concerned, now that it's in my tank, that the shrimp is sooooo small. They paired up the same night I placed them in the tank and all seems well. This morning I observed the pistol snatch up a small mysis but this is the only time I've seen him eat. From reading around here it seems a possible method of ensuring the shrimp gets food is by blasting it into the burrow. How are you guys feeding your pistols and what is your experience? Thanks!
 
I haven't seen my pair in over a week now, but I still hear the pistol snapping through out the day. I broadcast feed the tank, so I assume they are getting food. In another tank, I haven't seen the pair since I put them in (over 3 weeks), but again hear the snapping sounds
 
I have a tiger pair paired with a YWG pair. The YWG are pigs, they aren't feeding the pistols. I'll squirt LRS into their den once or twice a week. Might not be necessary, but they definitely grab it and eat it.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new