Feeding Powder Blue Tang

Greg61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I recently acquired a really nice powder blue tang and I need help figuring out how often I should put a partial sheet of sea veggies in the tank. Should I feed it every day or space it out? The tang has pretty much eliminated most of the algae growing on the rocks. Also wondering about my tuxedo urchin and feeding it now that most of the algae is gone. Thanks for the help.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put half a sheet a day folded multiple times into a thick piece clamped into my veggie mag (this keeps it from getting blown all over the tank.

This half sheet feeds a large PBT, transitioning Koran angel, 3 adult blennies, and my blue spot puffer. I also feed 1 & 1/2 to 2 cubes frozen (various types) in the A.M. and the same in the P.M. for the Harlequin Tusk, Picasso trigger, and pink face wrasse along with the others already mentioned.

Here is a feeding video. Tank is 48x24x24” (120 gallon)

OP
OP
Greg61

Greg61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice! I had not thought about folding it up to keep it from shredding and blowing around the tank. I will do that tonight when I get home. I also feed 1/2 to 1 cube of mysis and 2 small cubes of homemade food (shrimp, scallop, cod) and a pinch of Hikari marine S pellets twice daily for my purple firefish, 5 lyretail anthias (1 male, 4 females), 2 black ice clowns, mccorkle's flasher wrasse, orchid dotyback, chalk bass, cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Powder Blue (4 inches) gets an entire sheet folded in half and that’s gone in 2 hours, I als feed half a cube of mysis at night and you still won’t find a speck of green anything in my tank. He’s a lawnmower!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put half a sheet a day folded multiple times into a thick piece clamped into my veggie mag (this keeps it from getting blown all over the tank.

This half sheet feeds a large PBT, transitioning Koran angel, 3 adult blennies, and my blue spot puffer. I also feed 1 & 1/2 to 2 cubes frozen (various types) in the A.M. and the same in the P.M. for the Harlequin Tusk, Picasso trigger, and pink face wrasse along with the others already mentioned.

Nice looking Tusk!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed multiple tangs 1-2 sheets folded per day.

I also soak a lot of mixed frozen foods in selcon, vita chem, and zoecon (now called Zoe).

The bigger concern is parasites if you didn’t quarantine, unfortunately you’ll figure that out soon :(

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have approx. 8 fish (4 tangs including PBT, 2 wrasse, angel, and a blenny) that feeds off of nori. I feed 1 sheet in the morning, 1 sheet in the evening, and 3 cubes of frozen mysis every other day -- and I all my fishes are fat and healthy :).

I'm using the Innovative Marine nori feeder which is great -- you fold one sheet and it fits perfectly in the feeder.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tangs should get an algae sheet At Least once a day. Most tangs (regal is an exception) are primarily algae eaters in nature. I would also recommend feeding frozen/flakes/pellets throughout the day. Really, tangs can and should eat a lot.

Powder blue/brown tangs, in my experience, are really active. They should be fed a lot. A healthy one should be thick.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is exactly what I do as well. They really should have it available at all times if possible

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back