Feeding Previously Thawed Frozen Food

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My delivery today from BRS of Rod’s Food for herbivores was thawed. I guess they’re trying to save on shipping costs so they’re not sending with cold packs to Texas...hmm. Anyways, it was completely thawed upon arrival. I threw it in the freezer. Is it still OK to feed my tank with?
EFE0C15D-09C7-4803-84DE-F6CFCE9C824F.jpeg

alpha199

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I've run into this issue before. I'd contact BRS and see if they can send a replacement and actually pack it properly this time. It is possible that it was just a shipping error and not a cost-saving device. But that is just the optimist in me.

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just bad shipping honestly, I don't know if I'd accept a frozen package being delivered with no cold pack.

Was it at least still cool or an overnight delivery or something?

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I've run into this issue before. I'd contact BRS and see if they can send a replacement and actually pack it properly this time. It is possible that it was just a shipping error and not a cost-saving device. But that is just the optimist in me.
They gave me the option of a refund or to send a new order free of charge so I’m giving it a second shot. The rep said they were trying different shipping options or something like that.
That's just bad shipping honestly, I don't know if I'd accept a frozen package being delivered with no cold pack.

Was it at least still cool or an overnight delivery or something?
It was cool, but not cold like it recently thawed. It was overnight supposed to arrive by 10am but UPS didn’t deliver until almost 4pm.

I was surprised because people left reviews that BRS packaged their frozen stuff with ice packs. So I called to question why mine didn’t have ice packs when they said they weren’t doing them just the insulated container. Uhhh, May in TX is basically Summer lol

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust frozen once it has fully thawed. The only exception is if I purposefully thawed some food in tank water, saw I had extra, and then refroze right away. I'd still only use it after 1 refreeze though.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS not shipping with cold packs anymore....

Thats the end of BRS selling frozen. People will not stand for their frozen being delivered thawed. So they will just stop ordering from BRS. No orders = no frozen food shipping out = no business in frozen food.

Also the companies that make this food will, or should not tolerate their products being shipped in this manner, and could in theory yank their product from BRS. Least any self respecting company that actually cares about their product would.

Never thought this was a good idea anyways.

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust frozen once it has fully thawed. The only exception is if I purposefully thawed some food in tank water, saw I had extra, and then refroze right away. I'd still only use it after 1 refreeze though.
Yeah, it’s a gray area. Obviously for human consumption you wouldn’t ingest something that has been refrozen, but part of me wonders if bacteria could have significantly multiplied if the temp was say 55 degrees of the food. But then there’s no telling how many times the food has been previously refrozen either. I think I’m going to reach out to Rods Food.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, second shipment arrived. This one was in a much smaller box which I think helped the insulation performance, but still had no ice packs, despite a sticker on the outside stating otherwise lol. This one arrived about 4 hours earlier than the previous one and was still mostly frozen, but some parts were thawed. Could have went either way.
BBBB189B-ABFD-4079-BC5C-E5ADE242043B.jpeg
B9D1206E-C2BD-4989-B113-9AE1874AE7D9.jpeg

Back