feeding to cover the "micron gamut", Reef Nutrition food questions

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently feeding liquid Phyto Feast, Oyster Feast, Reef Snow (Brightwell), and frozen brine, mysis, and plankton. Figuring I had my bases covered. . . after some research it looks like my liquid foods are all between 1-200 microns, but Reef Nutrition offers liquid foods up to 1500 microns +. . . am I missing out by not feeding these "larger foods"? Should I be trying to cover the broadest range possible when it comes to feeding corals and filter feeders? Or am I just playing a numbers game for no reason?

Do you think there would be an advantage to feeding the entire gamut of food sizes? i.e. feeding food that ranges from 1 micron to millimeters (or centimeters if you have bigger fish/inverts)?

@Reef Nutrition

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with covering the size spectrum your system needs. Small for sps, larger foods for lps, all of it for mixed. I feed Reef Nutrition phyto, rotifers, oyster, Tigger feast, arcti pods, and Roe. Some reef roids and a cube of pureed LRS get added to that tasty mess. Bigger stuff is in the fish food like PE and spirulina brine.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently feeding liquid Phyto Feast, Oyster Feast, Reef Snow (Brightwell), and frozen brine, mysis, and plankton. Figuring I had my bases covered. . . after some research it looks like my liquid foods are all between 1-200 microns, but Reef Nutrition offers liquid foods up to 1500 microns +. . . am I missing out by not feeding these "larger foods"? Should I be trying to cover the broadest range possible when it comes to feeding corals and filter feeders? Or am I just playing a numbers game for no reason?

Do you think there would be an advantage to feeding the entire gamut of food sizes? i.e. feeding food that ranges from 1 micron to millimeters (or centimeters if you have bigger fish/inverts)?

@Reef Nutrition
Hey there!

Sorry I haven't responded yet. I was off the grid camping for 4 days. Really nice to unplug.

Sounds like with everything you are doing you are covering all size ranges, as well as the nutritional variety. We offer a liquid suspension brine shrimp (Beta-Brine) and mysis (Mysis-Feast), so if you were to switch to those you would still cover the larger food sizes.

Also, if you wanted to incorporate a pelleted food, our TDO is of high quality and is nutrient dense. It makes it really easy to deliver nutrient rich food to your fish and corals. It's also very useful in an auto feeder for when you are away from your aquarium for an extended period. Here is a link for more information: https://reefnutrition.com/collections/tdo

Thanks so much for posting here and tagging us. Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss this further.

Best,
Chad

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back