Feeling Good. 9 month rundown

SilentSloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my tank 1-1-2020 and am finally willing to post my tank here. Since some newly added Trochus snails have been cleaning my tank very good.
I know my rock-scape is bad... lets just not talk about it. Other than that any tips or comments or questions would be nice.
During this time I have only suffered 2 losses. RIP my diamond goby he was the best ever but he wanted to try and fly away through a 1/4" gap in the middle of the night. Also my emerald crab mysteriously died one day. Maybe a failed molt.

Aptasia - I've had a few Aptasia. Saw 1 removed and h202'ed the heck out of the rock then followed that up with some oversaturated kalkwasser paste. I let both sit for about 30min each. after I put it back in it popped back up on that rock so I just removed the rock forever. I had 1 more Aptasia but somehow loosened it up with h202 and then pulled it off the rock with tweezers and sucked it up with a dropper. that last one was about a month ago so hopefully I don't see it again.

Aggression - I had a midas-blenny which I though were chill as long as they had a hole to call their own and space to swim but he was not. I got this guy his own barnacle and he was still attacking my clowns so I had to return him. Thankfully they took him back.
My cleaner shrimp is a thief, he always wants to take food out of my anem, plate, and duncan. I have to guard them after I feed them for like 10 minutes until they are done.

Dosing - My pH really likes to go down to about 7.6 so I dose quite a bit of kalk to keep it up. Don't know how much it is volume wise but it is saturated solution through a BRS pump for about 15min at a time once every hour or 2. I then measured my ALK at a certain time one day and then again a few days later and with some math figured I needed some extra alk so I just add the required amount by hand everyday which is 1/4teaspoon of bakingsoda. I don't bother diluting since it is very soluble (I just dump it in the back away from the dosing pump and heater).
Due to the kalk I don't need calcium very often I have only had to add some once. Same with Magnesium.
I add some "fuel" amino acids on occasion but haven't been lately since I have been dosing vibrant 2 times a week to help get rid of my algae. also been dosing 1ml/25G h202 once a day to help with algae (don't want to bother the cleaner shrimp with 1ml/10G).
8.1pH, 10dkh, 400calcium, 78+-1 degrees, nitrite 10-15ppb, phosphate and nitrate haven't been measured in a long time no clue.

Food - I feed Thera pellets, mysis, and roe. Think I may have overfed a few times so I have really cut back lately to get the tank algae free. It was very bad at one point. Hair algae like 4 inches long lol. I don't know why people don't talk about roe more always mysis my everything in my tank loves roe.

Water changes - I use freshly mixed redsea pro salt when I do water-changes which is always once a week now. I did it bi-weekly for a few months and algae started growing, but so slow I never really noticed it. big mistake. I change 5G ~ 20%

QT - I don't have the space or money to do qt so I just dip corals and yolo fish in. Probably why I have tons of those little medusa worm things. I have lots of feather dusters and a small population of bristle-worms and red-flat-worms in the back. Also used some live rock when I started which probably didn't help.

Stock - 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, 1 bangai cardinal, 1 bullet goby, 1 anemone, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 tuxedo urchin, 1 clam, 3 trochus snails, 1 hermit
Coral - 1 stick, 1 plate, 6 encrusting, 1 hammer, 1 alveopora, 1 goniopora, 1 mushroom leather, 1 duncan.
I really like encrusting coral but they grow so slow except gsp. The pic makes it kinda hard to tell but the GSP is on an island in the middle.

Misc - using carbon, gfo, and airstone skimmer to try and get rid of algae. Using a redsea 90W led for light. almost at 100% have had to up it very slowly. Also my sand is hardening quite a bit.

I think my only regrets are my rocks and coral placement. I will probably try to redo the scape at somepoint with new rocks that have better shapes. Mine are kinda bolder-shaped so it is very hard to even adjust them.
Have any of you ever just changed rocks in their tank before? I know ill need to cycle them is there anything else?

Reef-1.jpg Reef-2.jpg Reef-3.jpg Reef-4.jpg Reef-5.jpg

Back