Fellow reefers, please help check if my summary is correct

  • Thread starter Thread starter Xibin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Yes, many people, I hear that SPS coral in China is much cheaper than US, most of them come from Indonesia. However, the philosophy behind coral keeping is completely different from yours. For example, almost no people use sand.
I believe that the silent majority of Western acro keepers run bare bottom tanks, so our respective philosophies aren't totally dissimilar. Those of us that do use substrate do so for the aesthetic, or to meet the needs of some of the critters we keep (i.e. wrasses).
 
Also none of this accounts for export? unless I missed something? I feel like even if some of this was true, its only part of the puzzle or am I missing something here?
 
Fresh live rock can introduce beneficial bacteria and nutrients required by corals. It really works. Live rock is very cheap here.
This is not a normal thing to do in the states. If you started with live rock, then you already have all the biodiversity you should need.

.2 phos isn't bad at all either, and I would be looking for other reasons that you're getting nuisance algae or other issues. An ICP test might be in order to see if something is wrong.
 
This is not a normal thing to do in the states. If you started with live rock, then you already have all the biodiversity you should need.

.2 phos isn't bad at all either, and I would be looking for other reasons that you're getting nuisance algae or other issues. An ICP test might be in order to see if something is wrong.
In China, we typically maintain our aquariums and water quality in a state of absolute, spotless purity, and we do not use substrate; consequently, I believe this long-term rearing approach may have led to a loss of biodiversity. I perform a thorough, deep cleaning of my aquarium every two months. Here, no one employs the so-called "dirty water system" method of aquarium keeping.

ICP is a good idea, I should have done this a long time ago,I will try. Thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new